Work on the asparagus bed has been delayed all week because our temps have been so cold that the compost I needed to spread on top of the rows was frozen.
Fortunately and hurray, today dawned bright and sunny and Jack Frost finally decided to give us a break and we could dig down into the compost for enough to get all the homemade fertilizer needed.
I had finished weeding so the bed was ready. Here are the three rows spread with the good-looking compost all along the top.
Next I tilled between the rows to loosen the soil, then raked it up over the compost on top of the rows.
I like to put down a heavy layer of mulch (old hay with no seeds left in it) between the rows so it's always dry and "clean" to walk (or kneel) on when I harvest the asparagus spears.
No mulch as of yet on the outside of the right and left rows. On the left I want to expand the plowed up soil (where it's now sod) because I didn't originally leave enough space there when we made the bed. Papa Pea is going to put his mighty muscles to work on that project tomorrow.
On the far right, there's enough room that I use as planting space for other veggies (or flowers) so I'll keep that weeded but won't mulch it until later.
Feels good to have the asparagus in good shape. Now grow, you little green spears, grow!
39 minutes ago