Monday, March 19, 2018

The In Between Period

We've been having beautiful, sunny days above freezing so the snow is slowly melting.


Not the prettiest time of year around here, but we have to go through it to get to warmer weather and the beginning of another glorious, green, gardening season.

Speaking of which, I'm actually starting to work on the layout of this year's garden.  As much as I fight to hang on to my winter hibernation period, I'm actually getting a little itchy to see green plants and colorful blossoms where a solid blanket of white has been for several months.

I feel a good organizational kind of day coming on for tomorrow.  Lots of must-dos were taken care of today.   Laundry and ironing, I cleaned out the refrigerator (yay!), made some good food that will serve as yummy leftovers tomorrow so I won't have to do much cooking.  

Sunday night I baked an apple cake that isn't totally obliterated as of this hour so that should serve as a sweet should it be needed.  

I started to get out Easter decorations today but realized they just "don't go" with the winter ones still scattered in every room.


Yep, even though it's a long time before real spring hits us in our northern clime, I'm going to pack away all the blue and white snow-flaky decor tomorrow and put up some light and bright spring things.  Then I'll feel I can finish placing the Easter ones around, too.


The above shows the beginning of our driveway (just to the right of the big snow bank on the left) leaving our yard area.  Truth to tell, we haven't had a snow flake fall on us for a couple/few weeks now (sorry, Susan) and the slow melting that has been going on has enabled the moisture to seep into the ground without forming as much mud, puddles and ice as usual.  Not a bad way to slip into spring up here in the north woods.

20 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Here's hoping Spring is right around the corner for you! No snow in our forecast, but still cold. -Jenn

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

It's a cold 29 degrees here for a welcoming "spring" day. Brrr. At least our snow is gone, but boy it's windy. For some reason, I haven't been in the mood to do any spring decorating.

Mama Pea said...

Jenn - I'm not fooling myself into thinking spring (warm weather) will be here any too soon. But with the snow melting, it's hard to stay in the winter mode! Time to move on. ;o)

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - Twenty-nine degrees with a wind is COLD! I wasn't in the mood for spring decorating either until I pulled out the Easter stuff. They just didn't look right with all the winter decorations so . . . I'm into spring decorating whether the weather wants me to or not!

Susan said...

We just can't get a break - we are due to get more snow tomorrow (hopefully, not much) and the morning temps have been in the low single digits. I so desperately want spring!

tpals said...

First day of spring...and we got an inch of fresh snow covering everything. :(

Rain said...

Hi Mama Pea :) Lucky you! I don't see anything but white still. I saw our forecast and it looks like no precipitation and lots of sun here for the next week or so. But it's still really cold out, so very little melt. I took down my outdoor winter decorations this morning for the Spring Equinox! :)

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

Its snowing here today. Light flakes but snow nonetheless. Welcome spring?

wisps of words said...

I missed this post, and one by Rain! Moan...

Spring... -sigh- We are so cold again.

But our daughter is getting another big snow storm, so...... It could be worse. :-)

Lisa said...

Sort of feel bad complaining about our 'cold' 50 with awful wind that blows right through you. Just north of us, in the NC mountains, they are having snow this day. Yesterday was short sleeves and hot. So strange!

Susan said...

I so long to see the ground - even mud is preferable to the endless white down here. Remind me I said that in April when we're hip-deep in mud season.

Mama Pea said...

Susan - No you can't get a break this winter . . . and late winter at that! Add the cold temps and no melting . . . oh, dear. Hang in there, friend!

Mama Pea said...

tpals - Up here we just laugh at the "first day of spring!" It's never, ever warm enough to feel anything like spring. No snow here, though, so we're happy about that.

Mama Pea said...

Rain - I still have two hanging baskets (decorated with holiday trimmings) and a very large wreath on the north side of the house. Can't get to them yet because of the big piles of snow pushed up in front of them. Oh, well. Maybe by Fourth of July . . .

Mama Pea said...

MrsDM - Welcome spring?? Bah-humbug. And that's all I have to say.

Mama Pea said...

wisps of words - Yep, even though our snow is melting, it's so damp out that it goes right through to your bones. No warmth even in the sun it seems. This, too, will pass . . . :o)

Mama Pea said...

Lisa - A nasty wind at most any temp (except maybe the 80s!) can make it seem so cold. Plus with snow in the mountains, you're probably feeling some of that cold, too! I had one day maybe a week ago when my turtleneck started to feel a little warm while inside, but that's all so far. ;o)

Mama Pea said...

Susan - And I hate to remind you, dearie-dear, but with all the snow you have to melt, you're gonna have A LOT of mud to deal with. It may even be flowing! :o(

Leigh said...

Ironing? You do ironing? Gosh, I hope it isn't contagious.

Mama Pea said...

Leigh - Haha! Yep, I've always loved to iron. (Will you stop reading my blog now??) ;o) I can remember as a very young girl begging my mom to let me iron. She started me on my dad's hankies and I was on my way from there! Now as for washing dishes . . . ish! If I could "send out" dishes as they used to send out ironing, I'd be one happy camper!