Friday, January 5, 2018

Disruption


This is the current state of my kitchen.


And this is a view of my living room.  Papa Pea is still sleeping on the couch as it's way more comfortable for him than our bed right now.  

The recliner chair was brought down from the attic and was the one place he could (kinda sorta) sleep in for a couple of days right after his swan dive off the ladder.  We're waiting to haul it back up into storage until we're positive we won't need it again.

He's improving a bit each day but is going a trifle bit stir crazy because he's never been this inactive in his whole life.  How desperate is he?  


He's volunteered to do all the dishes just to have something to do besides sit at the computer and/or read.  (He's not a movie or TV watcher, unfortunately.)  Plus, standing at the sink gives him a good period of standing up straight and stretching out presently under-used muscles.  (Am I reveling in my good fortune at being relieved of dish duty?  Oh, yeah.)

He's been putting a lot of miles on his walker.  My new name for him is Gahlumpy because that's the sound he makes when traveling through the house.  (Gah-lump, gah-lump, gah-lump.)  We've got a wood burning stove in the living room, the kitchen and attached garage and he insists on making the rounds several times a day (and even at night if he's up for anything) to check and/or fill them.  

I'm not the perfect housekeeper and you'd rarely find us living in a totally dirt and dust-free environment, but I do keep things picked up, in their proper place and looking (on the surface anyway) pretty good.  So is the current state of disarray hard for me to handle?  You betcha.  There's quite a bit of disruption to our lives and home.  But would I trade it for not having my husband around to cause all this during his healing?  No way.  Not a chance.  I'll put up with this inconvenient messy living situation as long as it takes.

23 comments:

DFW said...

I am so glad that Papa Pea continues to improve. Sometimes, a little disruption is good for us. Good wishes.

Goatldi said...

So glad to hear he is up to snuff and you are trading perfection for him. Oh not to suggest that Papa Pea isn't perfect. But you get my drift 😊

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Glad to see he's improving, and wanting to move around. You have a good attitude.

gld said...

Enjoy it while you can; I am betting it won't become a full-time habit once he is fully recovered.

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! I just came back to your blog after many weeks of too much busyness, only to read your news of Papa Pea! His homesteading lifestyle of constant physical activity and making healthy choices has helped him to escape major injuries. He will do just fine, we are sure. We are sending our best thoughts to PP and you during this frustrating time. He will soon be ready and strong for spring and summer chores. All will be well!!-M&J

Mama Pea said...

DFW - A little disruption is good for us? Are you sure? I'm a person who thrives on routine and schedule. Hmmm, maybe someone is trying to tell me something. Is this one of those changes I'm supposed to make??

Thanks for the good wishes! I appreciate it.

Mama Pea said...

Goatldi - You're so funny. I've been trying to get him "up to snuff" for a long time now . . . with no results. Just kidding! No sense trading him since they say perfection is unattainable!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - Ha. Both of us kinda hit a bit of depression at the same time tonight . . . which wasn't good. But we talked it through and all is okay now. I'm the one who has to keep the good attitude. I can't blame him for being a little down since he's the one still suffering a bit, out of commission and not being able to do anything about it . . . fast enough. :o/

Mama Pea said...

Glenda - No, it won't become a habit since I've never been able to function well in a messy environment. I mean it happens but I always have known I could "clean it up" but not so easily (quickly) this time. We're both doing okay though. We'll ride this out; it, too, shall pass. :o}

Mama Pea said...

M&J - If he isn't ready and strong BEFORE spring and summer, . . . oh my, I'm not sure I'll be able to handle him! He is so, so, so tired of being inactive. ('Scuse me while I go look for the duct tape to hold him down!)

Yeah, we figure we must be doing something right for him to not have been seriously injured in the fall. Seventy-six and he still bounces!

Tami said...

Gha-lumpy! How Wonderful. Better than Ghar-umpy. Give Ole Gha-lumpy a hug and a kiss from all your devoted readers MP.

Rain said...

Oh gosh poor Papa Pea! Reduced to dish washing as entertainment... ;) How is his progress though? Poor man. I really feel for him. I've had some bad falls and my healing is a pretty slow process. I love the Ghalumpy :)

Mama Pea said...

Tami - Ha! He would LOVE a hug and kiss from all of you!

Mama Pea said...

Rain - He said today he felt better than he has since the fall. Now if we could just get to a spot where he was comfortable enough lying down to get a good night's rest . . . I feel once we pass that hurdle, healing will speed up.

Nancy In Boise said...

Well, he's up, that's good! Hard to deal with in the dead of winter. Hang in there!!!

The Wykeham Observer said...

Best wishes that things get back to normal as soon as possible, but don't rush it. You are all obviously adept at adjusting to difficult situations, or you wouldn't have the neat place you have there in the woods. Very admirable. Take care. Phil/Eagle Bend, MN

The Wykeham Observer said...

Best wishes that things get back to normal as soon as possible, but don't rush it. You are all obviously adept at adjusting to difficult situations, or you wouldn't have the neat place you have there in the woods. Very admirable. Take care. Phil/Eagle Bend, MN

Mama Pea said...

Nancy - The winter weather (ice and snow) will make it all the harder for him to venture outside -- not any time soon yet anyway -- but he had set a goal of going through some of his old files in January so he can still do that, and is! Perfect way to occupy his time during this healing period!

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Phil! Welcome and thanks for commenting. Your wishes for Papa Pea's speedy recovery are much appreciated. He's doing better day by day (it's just been a little over two weeks since his swan dive) and last night was his best night's sleep. Yay!

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

Finally Blogger is allowing me back on! And what have I missed? Glad to see Papa Pea up and about - even if its just a little. Baby steps for a healthier Papa Pea! Here's hoping each day just gets better and better.

Mama Pea said...

MrsDM - Blogger has been giving me unusual fits lately, too. Grrrr! You may have missed the post on my dear husband's swan dive onto the frozen ground from the top of an extension ladder trying to work on our solar panel array on top of the tracker pole out in our field. He was soooo lucky not to have had serious injuries!

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

And once again Blogger is not letting me reply! I am slooowly clawing my way through about 80 million posts (ok not that many but when Blogger misbehaves it feels like 80 million). Let me find Papa Pea's swan dive report.

Mark said...

Gotta love those recliners!! I spent most of August in one day and night, they really are a wonderful thing when you are 'mobility challenged'.

Hope you are doing ok, too. Recovery from injury is no picnic, but neither is being the caregiver. Do take care of yourself, too!