Thursday, September 21, 2017

Waiting for Paint to Dry

That's just an expression.  In reality, I'm waiting for the dew to dry.

We've had wet, rainy days for the past several and more are forecast to begin tomorrow.  But today (promises, promises) is going to be full sunshine.  At least that's what they're telling us.

I have a bit of harvesting and LOTS of clean-up to do in the garden so while I wait for the paint the heavy dew to dry, I'm trying to accomplish some things inside here.


The geese are all fat and happy.  (Good thing for the healthiness of the gaggle because several of them are destined for the freezer this fall.)  They are nearly always together in a bunch, roaming the poultry pasture, gobbling green grass, swimming in the pond, making noise and sometimes looking for trouble.


This is Little Annie who arrived from the hatchery last year with her right foot folded completely under.


We splinted it and although it will always be a bit deformed, she walks without a limp and gets along just fine.


The white and gray duck in the center of the picture is Miss Friendly.  She's always eager to come "talk" with you.  And when you enter the pen with a feed bucket in your hand, she keeps pulling on your pant legs until a pan of feed is on the ground.  (Maybe she's not so much friendly as a little piggy.)


Despite the wet, cool weather some of our tomatoes are actually ripening.  (I can hardly believe it.)  This is an old heirloom, Oregon Spring, sometimes misshapen tomato, but delicious . . . if it can manage to ripen up here near the tundra.


I've got thirteen large pumpkins that are starting to turn color.  Yippee!


Just look at these apples on one of our dwarf trees! This shot is straight out of the camera with no color enhancing.


Can't say enough about these "Ring of Fire" sunflowers.  They're only about 4' tall, but are very prolific and last a long, long time as cut flowers.  Love 'em.


Here's my mint bed I've been coaxing along for a couple of years.  (Yeah, I know, most people find mint spreads like wildfire and can take over the acreage, but [sigh] not mine.)  It's finally (almost) filled the bed.  I've been cutting and drying it all summer to squirrel away for Papa Pea's daily cup o' mint tea.  Matter of fact, I have some in the dehydrator as we speak . . . and I'd better sign off and go check it!

12 comments:

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

I think I am just a bit further up on the tundra than you and today we are cool and cloudy. We were SUPPOSED to have sun but nope! And the forecast is rain for several days. But they keep getting it wrong. I can't plan a thing because when I want to go outside and garden tend its raining when its supposed to be sunny. Your garden looks amazing even with the green things. They will ripen I am sure of it!!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I was battling the morning dew last week, but it's 90 here today. Too hot to work late in the day too. Wow, apples already? Our trees are going on year 4 and no apples (sort of sad due to early heat up then cool down this spring). They look great too.

Mama Pea said...

MrsDM - I have been continually surprised all summer at how very consistent your weather and mine have been . . . almost to the day! And, yes, it's been so frustrating trying to plan a week by looking at the forecast. I think they've been wrong more times than not this spring/summer/fall. I'm going to be eager to see if both of us have the same winter weather forecast . . . and actual weather happenings!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - Ninety degrees at your place today??! I wouldn't be able to take it! Our older, mature trees have very few apple this year. I don't think we'll even get a 1/2 bushel from all seven of them. :o( But these dwarf trees (second year for them) are proving to be fantastic. I think we're going to put in more of them.

Michelle said...

I'm still dancing in the rain here, but next week is supposed to be dry and sunny so will see what's happening in the garden then. I imagine there will be cracked tomatoes for the happy chickens....

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - Well, I'm betting after your rain and then predicted sunshine, your garden will give forth a new burst of productivity! As far as your happy tomato-eating chickens, that's the great thing about keeping poultry. I never feel bad about "losing" the slug-eaten or cracked veggies . . . it counts as chicken feed and we get the goodness back in eggs!

Michelle said...

Exactly!

Susan said...

Your geese are beautiful! When is "D" day? November? :) For all your wonky weather, your garden is a far sight better than mine. I am close to throwing in the trowel.

Rain said...

Hi Mama Pea :) I saw the title of your post yesterday and giggled...I didn't know what it was about but I love your humour. Alex was watching his hat dry yesterday after he cleaned it because he couldn't wait to try it on and we laughed. :)

I remember little Annie's poor foot and how you took care of her!! You're so good! :) Oh my I'm jealous of your punkins! :)) How long is it from all green to some orange? Will I be gloriously surprised overnight type of thing?? I sure hope so! I hope your tomatoes ripen soon...it's so late in the season, I'm just happy we've had sunshine most days, no rain in the forecast and I don't mind a bit! I wanted to plant some apple and pear dwarf trees this year, but I thought I'd best wait until we settle down because I won't want to move them, they look great!

Oh my gosh look at that mint! I can't even grow it in a pot, seriously. I've tried two years now and I've gotten one measly little sprig...maybe Quebec mint thinks it's above the traditions of the rest of the world's mint? ha ha ha...that's my attempt at a political joke hee hee.

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Thank you! Want one? Three? We talked last night about setting a butchering date but decided we just have to wait until the temp is a consistent "cold." Don't want to do it with these temps still going up into the 60s and 70s unpredictably.

Yep, other than my complete Brussels sprout crop failure, I'm pleased with how much I'm getting out of it. We're short on shell peas but have more cauliflower than ever before.

Mama Pea said...

Rain - I don't think anyone can ever predict how quickly a pumpkin will turn from green to orange. So much depends on moisture, temperature, etc. There have been some years when I was ready to use orange spray paint to have them looking decent by Halloween!

Don't be too down on your "Quebec mint!" I've never tried to start it from seed. Have always purchased started plants.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.