Sunday I harvested three more heads of broccoli which were quickly cut up, blanched and put in the freezer. Best thing about them? No worms caused by the nasty cabbage moth! (Score one for our side.)
I also harvested the first six heads of cauliflower.
And it wasn't a pretty sight. One head was a lovely snowy white (front row on the right) but the others were tinged with the purple-ish/brown color caused by sunlight sneaking in through the leaves that I thought were protecting the heads. The good news is that when I blanched the cauliflower prior to freezing, most of the off-color disappeared. What a great improvement and made me a lot happier to know it would look so much better on the plate.
I ended up with fourteen servings (a serving being enough for both of us) put by and ready for this winter's enjoyment. I also saved out enough for us to have cauliflower as our vegetable with dinner that night and am glad to report it was delicious.
That same day the dehydrator got filled with seven trays of strawberry fruit leather and one tray of experimental haskap berry fruit leather. As expected, the strawberry leather was a success and is stashed away for a treat when out and about hiking, or snowshoeing or skiing this winter. The flavor is very much like fresh strawberries, and I predict it's gonna be gobbled up.
The tray of haskap berry leather we could. not. get. to. dry. Finally it dawned on us (yes, we're sometimes a little slow getting the ol' brain cells in working order) that it would never dehydrate or dry properly because we put in more honey (to make the sour berries palatable) than a "normal" fruit leather recipe would call for. Apparently, the amount of honey to fruit can't exceed a certain ratio and still make fruit leather of the proper texture. Papa Pea salvaged it by peeling it off (with great difficulty) the parchment paper which covered the stainless steel dehydrator tray, rolling it up into small cylindrical balls and storing it in the refridge in a glass container.
By the by, the flavor with the added honey made the haskaps taste not bad at all. That's not to say I've been converted to a haskap berry fan yet. I'm thinking a lot more experimenting with them needs to be done before I reach that point. Or the bushes get yanked out. One or the other.
B2B Book Review: Keys to Successful Homesteading
6 hours ago