Thursday, March 23, 2017

Bigger Than A Bread Box?

No, not hardly.  But quite a bit bigger than your run of the mill chicken egg!

I've had some inquiries as to just how big are the goose eggs we've been getting.


Above we have, left to right, a goose egg, a duck egg and a standard-sized chicken egg.

The chicken egg weighs in at 2 ounces.  The Muscovy duck egg isn't a lot bigger at 3 ounces.  (I suspect the extra ounce is all in the shell.  Boy howdy, those duck eggs are hard to crack open.)  The shape is consistently a bit more rounded than a chicken egg.

Then there's the goose egg which tipped the scales at 7 ounces.  (That's nearly half a pound!)


Our Pilgrim geese are a smaller variety so I'm assuming the bigger geese would produce even larger eggs.

I've been using the duck eggs in recipes interchangeably with chicken eggs, one for one, with good success.  I haven't baked with a goose egg because I'm just not sure how many chicken eggs would be equal to one goose egg.

One of these mornings, I'm going to fry a goose egg and serve it on a dinner plate.  I'm betting it would come close to filling the plate!

14 comments:

Kev Alviti said...

Sounds tasty! Love eggs here. I did a brioche bun recipe yesterday that used egg but by weight so that worked well for using some up.

Frugal in Derbyshire said...

When we kept geese I used to substitute one goose egg for 3 hens eggs. Makes the very best sponge puddings in the microwave or scrambled eggs.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ha. That's a big egg.

Anonymous said...

Being a household of one (plus a dog), I often cut recipes in half. I've found that a large chicken egg, whipped up, fills a one quarter cup measure pretty exactly. Then I "eyeball" half of it if I need only half an egg for my recipe (the other half gets cooked for the furry one). You might find this helpful in converting chicken eggs to goose eggs.

Mama Pea said...

Kev - We eat a lot of eggs also. Having recipes that call for eggs by weight kinda makes more sense than by quantity given the big size difference there can be in even two chicken eggs!

Mama Pea said...

Frugal in Derbyshire - After I listed the weight of the eggs, I was thinking that 3 hen eggs would be about the same as the one goose egg. Thanks for the confirmation!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - Indeed it is!

Mama Pea said...

Carol - Thanks for your experience on this one, too! There's always a way to figure it out . . . I just don't always come up with it myself so I appreciate all suggestions!

Rain said...

Wow! I think that Alex would love to have steak and eggs with a goose egg! Yes, I think it would fill an entire dinner plate, you could serve it like a pizza lol...

Nancy In Boise said...

Huge, looks like a t rex egg!

Mama Pea said...

Rain - If you served it to Alex with steak, you'd have to have a pretty big steak to look good next to the egg!

Mama Pea said...

LHinB - Now I'm gonna think of that every time I crack one open!

Laurie said...

Wowza! I feel for poor Miss Goose! That's a big youngin. Lol!

Mama Pea said...

Laurie - What I am curious about . . . will a substantially bigger gosling hatch out of a substantially bigger egg? Maybe we'll find out!