Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A Beautiful Fall Day

We've had a good frost the past two nights in a row.  (Is frost good?  Is frost bad?  Depends.)  Time to go for it and get everything out of the garden that needs getting.


I harvested our pie pumpkins a couple of days ago.  Nine of the nearly perfect orange orbs grew in my small patch.  We had a visit over the past weekend of some little urchins who were taken with the miniature size so three of the pumpkins disappeared when the small people did. 

When I get the time in the kitchen, I'll roast these remaining six and squirrel the pulp away for winter pumpkin pies, bars and bread.


Today we're planning on digging potatoes, getting all of the cabbage in, and harvesting the Brussels sprouts.  Out of the 18 plants I started, we ended up with only ten.  Two didn't survive the transplant and six developed what I think was some kind of a fungus which formed a large bulb at the base of the plant while no Brussels sprouts formed on the stem.


We'll probably be harvesting the apples within a couple of days, too.  We've been slightly amazed at the quantity and size of the apples on our dwarf trees planted only last year.


It's been a great year for our big apple trees, too.  The large clump in the foreground of the picture above is a branch that we had to stake up because of the weight of the apples on it.  And this was after thinning all the apples at the beginning of the season.  Apple pie, anyone?

Lots to do today so I'd better get on with it.

20 comments:

Susan said...

OMG. Even your pumpkins are perfect... I can't believe the size of those apples - after one year? Heavens! What's next year's harvest going to look like? You are going to have a nice, full pantry this winter.

SmartAlex said...

Nice Pumpkins!!! We had barely any apples this year due to a late frost so I am jealous of your apples. What varieties are your dwarf trees?

Sol said...

what are you feeding your apple trees? Love your kitchen

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Oh my, those apples are amazing! What kind are they? -Jenn

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Ya know why I think the pie pumpkins are so nicely shaped and blemish-free? They never touched the ground. I trained the vines to climb up either side of an arbor trellis. They were up off dirt and in whatever full sunlight there was to be had. Couldn't do that with full sized pumpkins but it worked for the small ones.

Mama Pea said...

SmartAlex - They are Zestar and Honeycrisp. The Honeycrisp seem to be bearing heaviest. Bummer about the frost zapping your apples this year. :o(

Mama Pea said...

Sol - Just compost and watering when the rain doesn't seem to be sufficient. And thank you regarding my kitchen!

Mama Pea said...

Jenn - The ones pictured on the dwarf trees are Honeycrisp. I'm pretty sure the picture of the big tree is a Fireside, but I don't have the chart identifying those trees handy at the moment.

Michelle said...

Great apple year here, too. I've never grown Brussels sprouts; wonder if I could? We sure love them oven-roasted! I don't bother with any variety of pumpkin anymore; I much prefer the flesh of sweetmeat or butternut squash.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful pumpkins and the apples look fabulous. What delightful treats you will have all winter!!!

Mama Pea said...

Michelle - You'd have to research your climate for Brussels sprouts. They require a long growing period and are said to be "sweeter" after a good frost or two.

I've used squash in place of recipes that call for pureed pumpkin, too. Tastes just as good.

Mama Pea said...

JoAnn - Although I cook a lot with apples, and make quantities of applesauce, we would be delighted to have good eating apples all winter. Will this be the year??

odiie said...

Awesome apple harvest. I see apple chips in your future??
Only half a row of carrots left in my garden. Going out there now to lift them. My brussel sprouts turned out pretty small. Any advice??
Odiie

Laurie said...

Wow! You still have lots going on in the garden. You'll be busy putting things away for some time to come, won't you? Love it!

SmartAlex said...

Honeycrisp are my absolute favorite! Lucky you :).

Rain said...

Mama Pea, you have such a great garden, I'm very envious! Those apples look so delicious. So will you can them or do you have a root cellar? Not sure how long they last. I think it's a no-no, but I put my apples in the fridge and they've lasted up to a month. Those pumpkins look so great! We've had some snow up north, but the sun (thankfully) melts it during the day...I'm NOT ready to shovel yet!

Mama Pea said...

odiie - And lots of apple pie!!

When your Brussels sprouts start to form, do you break off the leaf right under the forming sprout? You probably already know and do that but it definitely does make the sprouts grow bigger if you remove the stem and leaf under each one.

Mama Pea said...

Laurie - Gee, I hope I'm done soon! Started to go out to do the Brussels sprouts (finally) after lunch today . . . but it started to rain! So now I'm sitting at my desk paying bills :o( and catching up on some blogs.

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Rain - Thank you for your nice words! We have a lovely root cellar and the apples keep way into the new year down there. Apples in the refridge should be just fine for you. We're having cold rain today. Kind of a harbinger of the white stuff to come!

Mama Pea said...

SmartAlex - I can hardly explain how happy we are to have this good harvest this year! So far our Honeycrisp aren't super-sweet, but I'm hoping they will be more so as they "age."