Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Another Sweaty Day But A Good Day

I had a really good day today.  (I can say that now after the sweat has stopped running toward the floor from all parts of my body.  TMI?)  Yep, I was out in the garden for much of the day, but got bunches crossed off my To Do List.


My zucchini plants (both of them) have stopped producing.  Just plain stopped.  And the leaves haven't been looking too good either.  Nope, no evidence of insect damage.  I thought all squash liked hot weather as we've been having so what's the problem?  I gave the plants some attention, a trim removing yellowed leaves and a chirky pep talk.  We'll see if that does any good.

Staked up a couple of (still headless) broccoli plants that were beginning to lean.  Since they prefer cool weather -- of which we've been having none -- that may be the problem.

Pulled out my green and yellow bush bean plants.  Harvested the last of what I wanted yesterday and now I have plenty in the freezer for our year's supply.  Threw half of the plants into the poultry yard, and saved the rest for our daughter to take home to her chickens.


I had planted a couple hills of "assorted gourds" that I thought would be nice to have for fall decorating.  These tiny white pumpkin-like things are the only "assorted gourds" that are growing.  If I remember, the same thing happened last year . . . and I used the same packet of seeds this year.  (I expected a different outcome?)

Pulled the last of the Sweet Pea vines that died on me prematurely.  Better luck next year, eh?

Staked up an apple tree branch that was hanging mighty low because of all the apples on it.  Not a bad problem to have.  We even "thinned" the apples when they started to form earlier this season.  Can't complain about the apples not developing well this year, can we?

Weeded the little 10' x 16' plot in which we've got our experimental dwarf apple trees planted.  How do weeds come up so easily through a thick mulch on the ground?  Not fair, I say, just not fair. 

Dead headed the bachelor buttons, marigolds, cosmos and zinnias.  Don't know if they feel better, but they sure look better.


When our strawberries are done bearing, we always mow them down with the lawn mower so they can make a burst of new growth before going into dormant winter time.  We did this a couple of weeks ago and they've made a lot of regrowth in just that time.  The weeds that had popped up in the patch were quite impressive, too.  So I attacked them this morning and now the area is looking good again.


You may not be able to tell it from this picture with nothing to compare the size of them to, but it looks as though our onions are going to be of a right good size this year.  This is one of the three beds of them.


This is a couple of my fall planted cauliflowers.  The plants are all of about 3" tall.  I keep thinking maybe they'll really take off . . . one of these days.  (Go, little plants, go!  You can do it!)


And here's the bed of fall planted greens:  lettuce, spinach, mizuna mustard, arugula and Swiss chard.  I've had it covered with a frame of shade cloth in this continuing hot weather.   (Does the terrible angle of this picture make you dizzy like it does me?)

I made two more jars of my Minnesota Kimchi.  They're now doing their thing on the counter for a few days.  We've already gone through a first jar, have another in the fridge and now have these two more coming along.

The one thing still remaining on my list is harvesting the ripe blueberries which could have been done today.  My rationale is that I had to save something to do tomorrow, right?

18 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Hmmm, do you think it's too late to mow my strawberry plants? -Jenn

Laurie said...

You are my garden inspiration! What are you going to do with all that energy, once winter comes? I've said it before....love reading about and seeing your garden. We go home Friday. I can't wait to see what shape my garden is in. My daughter has been harvesting, while I was away and she said the canteloupe vines have taken over. That's fine, but there better be a canteloupe waiting on me, when I get there. Lol!

DFW said...

Everything looks good Mama Pea! And I too have used that excuse for not doing something today (usually cleaning something) so I'll have something to do tomorrow!

Susan said...

Thank you for reminding me to 'mow' (hand clip) my strawberries! I keep missing my round zucchinis until they resemble soccer balls. We had cool weather last night and I did not want to leave my nice bed. Hope it cools (a bit) for you soon!

Sue said...

What a wondrous day. You'll sleep like a log (logs sleep??where on earth did that saying come from!!!) tonight.
And I laughed about the assorted gourd seeds. I think it's time to throw away the packet..........
:D

Mama Pea said...

Jenn - Are you still having the warmer than usual temps? I think I'd go for it if you are. Then again, I suppose it all depends on the growing time they have left . . . if we should have an earlier than usual killing frost. I don't know when yours usually is but ours hasn't been happening until near the end of September or even first of October.

Mama Pea said...

Laurie - I'm going to use (any energy I have left!) it to be very lazy this winter! ;o)

Oh, to find some luscious cantaloupes for eating when you get home. If you still have warm weather for ripening the melons, cut off the growth ends (a good foot back wouldn't hurt) of any of the vines when you get home. Then the plants will put their energy into ripening the melons already forming rather than growing more and more vines.

Summer said...

The onions are looking really good ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Rain said...

Your garden is so inspiring Mama Pea. Everything has halted here except the rosemary which I'm going to pick soon and freeze. I was reading that it doesn't survive cold winters, so I guess I'll be transplanting it and bringing it inside in a little bit so that I have some next year (and hopefully all winter too!). My little lemon tree is starting to show some action!!! I'll take a picture for you tomorrow. Today though, we are taking advantage of the "good-riddance to weekenders" time of the year and heading to the local dock for some fishing. We caught 6 bass yesterday, but they were all too small to keep. Fingers crossed I'll have some for the freezer tonight!!!

Mama Pea said...

DFW - Some people might call it procrastination, but WE'RE just being sensible, don't you think? ;o]

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Cool weather last night?! Oh, be still my heart. I'm surviving okay but my poor husband isn't handling the prolonged, and unusual, heat well. I may have to start packing him in ice. ;o}

Mama Pea said...

Sue - Duh, you think I should throw that packet away??? (Sounds entirely too sensible.)

Mama Pea said...

Summer - Thank you, and thanks for commenting! My husband just got a good look at them today out in the garden for the first time in a while and he was impressed.

Mama Pea said...

Rain - Thank you, ma'am! I've never tried growing a lemon tree . . . but they do look very attractive, if nothing else.

The "weekenders" are still in our area 7 days a week! I know they keep the economy of the county going but . . . we want our town back!

Good luck with your fishing!

Laurie said...

Oh thank you....good idea.

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

I see everything is growing nicely at your place. Using the lawn more never dawned on me for cutting strawberry plants. That's one little idea I need to keep in my head for next growing season.
Hugs,
Sandy

gld said...

You did have a good day! The garden looks beautiful...and you know, I love the water fowl!

Mama Pea said...

Glenda - Thanks for your always kind comments. The waterfowl have a new little friend on the pond these last several days. We think he's a grebe (but not sure) and I'm thinking one of these times he's gonna follow them right up into their night time quarters when we put them away at night!