Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Recipe for Burger Buns

Since showing a picture of my Cheesy Onion Burger Buns in my post of last Thursday, February 4th, I've had hundreds of (okay, two) requests for the recipe.  So here it is.

Cheesy Onion Burger Buns

5-1/2 to 6-1/2 cups unbleached flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 rounded tablespoons dry yeast
2 tablespoons softened butter
2 cups water, 120-130°
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 to 1/2 finely chopped onion 

In large bowl thoroughly mix 2 cups flour, sugar,
salt and undissolved dry yeast.

Add softened butter.

Gradually add hot water to dry ingredients
and beat 2 minutes at medium speed
of mixer.

Add 1 cup flour and beat at high
speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occastionally.

With a spoon, stir in cheese, onion and enough
additional flour to make a soft dough.

Turn out onto lightly floured board and 
knead until smooth and elastic, about
8-10 minutes.

Place in greased bowl, turning to
grease top.  Cover, let rise in warm place until
doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down and turn out onto
lightly floured board.  Divide dough into
20 equal pieces.  Form each piece into
a smooth ball, place balls about
2" apart on greased baking sheets.

Flatten balls with palm of hand.

Cover and let rise until doubled, about
45 minutes.

Bake in 400° oven about 15-20 minutes.
Cool on wire racks. 

Notes:  I've used part whole wheat flour in this recipe with success.

I don't measure the grated cheese, just put in what looks to be about a cup.  A little more or less doesn't seem to make a difference.  Obviously, use more if you desire the cheese flavor to dominate.

Same with the finely chopped onion.  We like an onion-flavored bun so I usually put in about 1/2 cup.

After the buns have risen on the baking sheets, sometimes they will look a little too puffy to me so I smoosh them down again a little before baking.  You can make the choice if you want a higher, smaller bun or a flatter, slightly larger one.

These buns freeze beautifully and are so handy to have in the freezer to use for burgers, sloppy joes or any other sandwich that requires a bun.  They make a great breakfast sandwich with a fried egg, slice of cheese and sausage patty.

Enjoy!

18 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh Boy, Oh Boy!!! Thanks for sharing. I will try your recipe, but I've got to get over this creepy crud first.

Vicki said...

Oh, but those buns sound good! Guess I know what I'll be doing first thing in the morning. :)

Anonymous said...

Yay, yay, yay! Thank you for sharing, gonna try these this weekend.

hoosier girl said...

Bookmarked this one- thanks!!!!
I love to get bread recipes that use a mixer instead of kneading by hand.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Oh, yum! To know they freeze well, is a plus for me. I'll be trying this soon too. Thank you!!!!

Mama Pea said...

Laurie - Oh, darn! It seems there has been a LOT of sickness going around this winter. Take care!

Mama Pea said...

Vicki - Thanks for commenting! Have to admit I got a morning laugh out of your description (great smelling doorstop!) of your efforts to make no-knead bread. I've made plenty of those myself, some of which even the chickens refused to eat.

Hope the recipe for these buns turns out for you if you find the opportunity to make them.

Mama Pea said...

You're so very welcome, Ruth!

Mama Pea said...

hoosier girl - There is that one period of kneading for these buns, but I listen to an audio book while kneading and it gets done PDQ!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - I don't know what I would do without the luxury of freezing breads, soups, etc. I can throw together a good tasting soup in a short time if I have to but it's hard to come up with a good yeast bread or buns or rolls for a meal when you don't have any on hand. You're welcome!

Susan said...

I almost had to pull out a hanky while reading this - because of onions? No. Because of cheese, onion and bread all rolled into one. It was pure torture. :)

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Ooops, I am so sorry! I should have found a way to block out this post so you would never have seen it!

But anybody who's on a month-long detox adventure gets a Gold Star in my book, so hang in there, gal friend.

gld said...

I have a very similar recipe that I use. I haven't made it in a while because when I do bread (4 loaves), I just take one loaf and make buns. This one with the cheese is very good though.

Mama Pea said...

gld - Yours is a very good plan. If I would just make buns with part of a bread loaf recipe now and then, I'd always have a good supply of them!

Sparkless said...

My hubby is the bread maker and he usually just uses our whole wheat bread to makes buns with but cheesy onion ones sound delicious. I may have to try this recipe or just have the hubby make some buns with some onion and cheese in them. YUM!

hoosier girl said...

OOPS! I read too fast and missed that. But it still sounds very doable. I'm going to try!

Mama Pea said...

Sparkless - It's strange but neither the onion or cheese are apparent in the buns . . . but do add a really nice flavor. Hope you get to try them.

Mama Pea said...

hoosier girl - I think you'll find the recipe fairly easy to do!