Saturday, January 24, 2015

Drip, Drip, Drip

Just to add to our already strange winter weather, we are now experiencing a genuine January thaw.


This caricature would be applicable today . . . except for the fact that we haven't had enough snow to construct a single snowman yet this winter season.

While those of you on the East Coast have already had or are bracing for a significant snowfall, the piddling little amount we've had on the ground continues to melt away.

Overnight temperatures were above freezing (again) and my poor garden beds are once again bare and shivering in the extreme dampness.  We humans almost have to put on more clothing to go out in this weather in order to be comfortable than we did when the temp was below zero.  It's that darn dampness that gets ya.

On the positive side, we've not been going through much of our wood supply in the last couple of weeks, and if this snowless winter continues we may have an early spring for getting a jump start on the garden.

Plans for today are to put in some more time on the never-ending sorting/cleaning/organizing job in the unheated loft/attic.  And I must be honest and admit it does feel better working up there in 35 degree weather than when it was below zero.  Still with jackets, hats and gloves on, of course.

Happy weekend to all of you!

13 comments:

Sparkless said...

We are having above freezing temps too and it doesn't look like the long range forecast has any changes in sight for us. We got a big dump of snow but it's melting pretty fast. It's been a very warm snowless winter for us too. I just hope winter doesn't decide to hammer us in early spring and damage gardens and fruit trees. I need to jump on that declutter band-wagon and I think I'll start with all that paperwork I've got in my file cabinet.

primrosesattic said...

Yes I agree if you have snow have a decent amount so you can have some fun. No snow in Cornwall as yet, nice sunny day today... But I like it like that.Good luck with your room.
Rosezeeta.

Sue said...

Same thing here. What a boring winter this has been for us. Gray (grey?) skies, and drizzly rain. Ugh.
Hope you get lots done in the attic.---that's making use of some odd weather. I can't seem to get motivated.........

Mama Pea said...

Sparkless - So far I've been able to avoid delving into my files to sort them out. Really needs to be done so I must put on my big girl panties one of these days and just do it! I think I'll be amazed at all the room I'll gain by tossing the no longer necessary stuff.

Mama Pea said...

Rosezeeta - When you're done with that sun, please send it our way! We have had such a sunless January that it's starting to make me feel dull and gray!

Mama Pea said...

Sue - I'm finding these days I lose any and all motivation right after dinner. What a waste of some nice hours before bedtime! I can't even decide what I want to do. Knit? Read? Watch a DVD? Quilt? Clean the bathroom? Nah . . . nix on that last one, for sure!

Mark said...

We've been running just cold enough to keep the little snow we have on the ground, but are expecting another 1 - 3 inches tomorrow. It's not much, but I'll see what I can send your way!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

We are due to get some snow today and then it's back to negative windchills. We have had enough snow to build a snowman, but I was too busy shoveling so we never did. The snow was perfect for packing when we got that last 6.5 inches of snow too.

Mama Pea said...

Mark - 70% chance of snow for us tomorrow (Monday). That sounds good.

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - Gosh, we haven't gotten 6.5 inches of snow at one time all winter! Areas south of us are getting more snow than we are. Go figure.

Unknown said...

Geez, I keep thinking you're buried up there! We had record cold in Nov. (8) then in the 60's a couple weeks later! Wacky weather, and BAD for the shrubs, trees, veggies, etc. Too unstable...

Mama Pea said...

Nancy po - Nope, our winter this year is sooo different than last year. We have bare grass out our front windows and the garden beds and field garden are bare of snow. Disgusting. Is this winter time or what? You're right, unstable weather is the pits.

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

The last snow we received was nice but it only stayed for one day. Temperatures keep going up and down here, you just never know what to expect. Today, we will peak into the 70's. Expecting colder temperatures over the weekend and into the new week.

I prefer above 30 degree temperatures when working in the attic, garage, or even outside. This way it's not to cold or hot. Don't work to hard!!!

Hugs,
Sandy