Wednesday, October 29, 2014

What To Do . . .

. . . when you've just been given a box of delicious apples and you have a couple of geriatric bananas on your kitchen counter?

Why, try a new recipe for Apple Banana Muffins!  I'm here to report that this recipe is a winner and perfect for this time of year.

I adapted the recipe from one I found in an old Taste of Home magazine and will make one more slight change when I make the muffins again.

Apple Banana Muffins

1-1/2 cups quick oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup peeled and grated tart apple
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana

Combine the first seven ingredients in a mixing bowl.
In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk and butter.
Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
Fold in the apple and banana.
Fill 12 paper-lined muffin cups with batter.
Sprinkle top of muffins with a cinnamon/sugar mix.
 Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or
'til a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins
from pan to a wire rack.
 Yield:  One Dozen Muffins


Using quick oats instead of old-fashioned rolled oats is the change I will make next time.  The texture of the muffins was good, but I think using the quick oats will make the ingredients even more moist and able to "hang together" better.


These moist, flavorful muffins made a yummy addition to our breakfast plate.  If you give them a try, I'm pretty sure you'll like them.

11 comments:

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

Oh my gosh..............these muffins look delicious!!!!
Thanks for sharing the recipe, I now have another to add to my notebook :-) You know I will try making them.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

That looks delicious!

Mark said...

Mama Pea, those look wonderful! It likely won't be until next week since we are consumed with daughter #2's wedding preparations (day after tomorrow) but I can see trying to talk De into giving those a whirl!

Mama Pea said...

Sandy - I have a whole cardboard box of "recipes to try" that I've been adding to for YEARS! (Not good.) I have plans to go through them this winter (wish me luck) and get them in some semblance of order. (Better wish me A LOT of luck!)

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - They're very hearty and flavorful without being overly sweet. A good combo in my book!

Mama Pea said...

Mark - You shouldn't be able to be thinking of ANYTHING until the wedding's over! Best wishes for a wonderful day all around. Blessings to you all and enjoy!

Susan said...

I think these might be able to be GF'd - what do you think? Your breakfast looks so good! I love my scrambled eggs with veges!!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - M'dear, you seem to be able to GF anything (!) with success. Go for it!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Mmmmm yum. Apple anything is ok with me. Love love love your dishes. They are quite the thing in Washington state because of all the apple grown here, and so the price is way beyond most people's budget - but if ever I find some in a thrift shop or a good yard sale they are coming right home with me.

Mama Pea said...

JoAnn - When we got married 50+ years ago, hubby's aunt gave us some money to put toward a set of dishes. I looked and looked for about a year until I settled on this Franciscan Ware Apple pattern. They've always been pricey so whenever I break a piece, it's a minor crisis around here!!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe, will be giving them a try soon.

http://caffeinatedhomestead.weebly.com/blog