Friday, August 22, 2014

I Am A Slug

I am a damp, moldy slug.  How's that for painting quite the (un)attractive picture?  Both Papa Pea and I have found ourselves feeling dull, slow and (I'll admit it) slightly depressed.  It's all this heavy, heavy grayness.

We have had nothing but rain or drizzle or fog with cloying dampness for months now.  Okay, not months.  But weeks.  Okay, so it hasn't been weeks, but I truly cannot remember the last time we saw the sun. 

Our weather is not hot, but it is humid.  Very humid.  Which makes ones clothing feel cold and clammy and downright . . . ishy.  How can one feel cold and sweaty at the same time?  Dunno, but I don't like it.

My beans are moldy, my raspberries are moldy.  Oh, for a light and bright, breezy day with lots of sunshine!  On the other hand, the forest fire danger is very low right now.  I think you'd need a blow torch, lots of paper and kindling inside a tent to start a fire out there right now.

The garden is at the stage where it reminds me of an old woman who is too tired to try to keep up appearances anymore.  Blowsy, disheveled and falling apart.


The onions have all done FALLLL-en down.


The trellises of sugar snap peas at either end of this bed have gone crazy.  I am so tempted to tear them out to restore some order but the darn things just keep bearing and bearing so I keep harvesting and processing them.  How can I not?  They are delicious.


This portion of the field garden is busting its buttons growth-wise.  The shell pea trellises on the left are starting to turn yellow, but still putting forth edible pods.


Believe it or not, this is one single head of lettuce that I'm letting go to seed hoping I can harvest them from it.  It's over three feet tall.


While so many of you are up to your ears in canning tomatoes, this is all I have to show in the tomato department.  Green ones and on a cherry tomato plant to boot.


But looky, looky, looky!  We're getting nice ears of corn forming!


And I'll be arrested by the Brussels Sprout Police if I don't get some of these beauties harvested soon.

Sometimes the weather doesn't seem ideal for humans the crops you want to grow and certain crops just fail (or get moldy!), but I've gotta admit, all those wonderful plants out there do their darndest to give us good food for the coming months.  Even though a garden is hard work, I love doing it and am so appreciative of the harvests we get.  Even without benefit of the sun.  And too much moisture.  How DO those plants do it?

25 comments:

Homesteading wife said...

My lettuce is a monster too. I never realized it could get so tall. Exciting though to be able to harvest your own seeds. Beautiful garden!

Sparkless said...

Wow that lettuce must have some good DNA so I hope you can collect some seeds from it. We've had unsettled weather with quite a few thunder and lightning storms. I'm just glad it's cooler. I can't believe you are still harvesting peas. I miss fresh peas.

Sue said...

I can't imagine how you get such fantastic looking corn in weather like that?!?!?!?!
We had our first 4 ears (corn, silly!) for lunch yesterday. It was fantastic. But, there is not a melon, pumpkin, or butternut squash out there. It is an odd year indeed.
Hope you get some much needed sun, dear Mama Pea!

Carolyn said...

Of course, I envy what you have (well. some things...some times); moisture. We really, really need rain. Sick of having to water twice a day just to keep my Fall Garden seedlings from keeling over in the heat. Oh, and the wonderful sound of crunching grass when one walks around the yard...crunch, crunch, crunch. Your gardens do look wonderful, I suppose they like the moisture better than you :)

tpals said...

Strange how too much rain and clouds makes you feel gray inside but needed rain is like a cool refreshing drink that refreshes you (like we got last night). Your garden looks mature to me. :)

Tami said...

I laughed at your title before I even clicked over.

Stay way from the salt, Sister! @;)

Tami said...

Glad to hear you got skunked in the squash/pumpkin department too! Thought it was just me!

Mama Pea said...

Christina H. - This is my first time trying to harvest lettuce seeds. It's all new to me, so wish me luck. And thank you!

Mama Pea said...

Sparkless - Yes, the peas are going longer this year than I can ever remember. I suppose it's because of the slow start they got this spring. I've always had good luck freezing them so we enjoy "fresh" peas all winter long!

Mama Pea said...

Sue - I know! I can't figure it out!

Tami, don't forget to add me to the no squash/pumpkin group this year. My vines are doing great but it's too late for fruit to form and mature. :o(

Mama Pea said...

Carolyn - And the plants don't complain about all this icky, sticky, moldy moisture like I do!!

Mama Pea said...

tpals - Me and my garden . . . mature. Hahahaha!

Mama Pea said...

Tami - Yikes, I hadn't thought of that! ;o) (And here hubby and I have been craving salt lately. Ooops.)

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

Ship so of your moisture this way!!!

Beautiful garden!!!

Mama Pea said...

Sandy - If only I could! Went out to get a head of green cabbage this afternoon and the number of slugs under it nearly freaked me out! Eeuuuuw!

Mark said...

Hang in there! Too many gray days in row make me feel gray(er) too. Hope you get the sunny, breezy day you're hoping for soon. We're having a really odd garden year hare in NE Indiana too, but at least we've seen the sun on a regular basis. In fact, we've seen enough cool, sunny, rainless days we're worried about getting the garden to finish it's work.

Leigh said...

Hurray for your corn!!!! That's exciting. And your brussels sprouts are really impressive. Our lawn mower is kaput so my garden walkways are totally out of control with grass. Going to seed too, which doesn't bode well for next year.

Akannie said...

Careful...we've suddenly moved back into summer here. The heat index is 110 today. It's way crazy hot, and the tomatoes have gone berserk. lol

Susan said...

You are so NOT a slug. No one can have any getupandgo with days of no sun! It's amazing how green things can be and yet be unsuccessful. My tomatoes were lush, now they are falling over, puny, full of green tomatoes that are not ripening because it's 45 degrees every morning. What kind of a summer is this, anyhow?

Anonymous said...

Wow! All that bounty is beautiful! My garden is on it's tail end, and with Tom leaving, I am not going to do a fall garden. Looks fabulous!

http://caffeinatedhomestead.weebly.com/blog

Mama Pea said...

Mark - I tell ya, with us gardeners, if it's not one thing, it's another! But we all just keep doing the best we can and are grateful for the harvests we get! It's a lot of hassle and physical work, but there's no where else we could possibly obtain as good a source of nutrition than from our gardens!

Mama Pea said...

Leigh - We were able to finally start mowing the grass (yard and between the raised beds) just yesterday because of all the rain we've had and, boy, was it long. I told my hubby this morning that the garden doesn't look nearly so blowsy and unkempt now that the grass around it is under control!

Mama Pea said...

Akannie - Hooray! At least you're getting tomatoes! So many folks are saying their tomatoes just aren't ripening this year.

Mama Pea said...

Susan - What kind of summer is this? Weird. Very weird! (In more ways than one!!!)

Mama Pea said...

Stephanie - You've worked so hard on getting your garden and soil up and going this year that I think you deserve to call it quits for this season. Time for relaxing and doing some planning for next year!