I've mentioned before that my efforts at starting seedlings inside this year were less than successful. I had a few brassicas that did sprout but never looked like they were going to amount to much.
But, of course, I couldn't toss them in the compost (which would have been the kind thing to do with them) so I set them outside in their little started peat pots where they languished for the longest time. Not growing really, just continuing to look pretty pathetic.
Finally I decided to give them a chance (hey, why not?) and stuck a few of them in bare spots in the field garden and four of them in one end of a raised bed where a cherry tomato plant had decided to die deader than a door nail on me.
Only thing is by the time I planted these little stunted plants in the garden, the labels in each of the pots had done washed clean away so that I don't know whether they are cabbages or broccoli or Brussels sprouts. No matter. If they grow, we'll soon know. And they actually had started to grow and put on some size.
This morning I saw that one of the plants in the raised bed had been chomped on by "something." Too much damage done to be an insect/bug type marauder. Papa Pea says he doesn't think a chipmunk or squirrel (my first guess) would bother the plant. My next thought was that a rabbit had gotten through the fencing around the garden, but I don't think a rabbit would chop off the leaves and just leave them lying about . . . some in the raised bed, some on the grass outside the bed.
I don't have much hope of catching the varmint, but I've got a trap set out just in case he/she/it decides to return to sample more broccoli. Or cabbage. Or Brussels sprouts. Or whatever the plants may be.
A Norman Rockwell Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving
15 hours ago