Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Easter Sunday

We'll be having a quiet Easter here.  Just the three of us . . . hubby, daughter and me.  Dinner about 5 p.m. and then Family Reading Night afterwards.


Dying eggs was a little task I never really enjoyed, so I'm very happy to not have to do that anymore.  But we still exchange Easter Baskets.  Papa Pea and I make up one for Chicken Mama and she makes up one for each of us.  Over the years we've gotten away from the traditional candy-filled baskets and instead pack them with small items we know the other person will enjoy and use.  As usual, our daughter does the very best job of finding just the perfect little trinkets.  It's a knack she has, and I can't do nearly as well.

For dinner there will be baked ham which was always the Easter meal at both Papa Pea's and my house when growing up.  But because we were vegetarians for the first fifteen years of our daughter's life, she doesn't care much for any kind of meat and can't tolerate ham.  (Because of the texture, she says.)  So I'll also be making a batch of Burgundy Meatballs which aren't really meatballs since they're made with a meatless mixture of ground nuts, cream cheese, etc.

Both hubby and I commented after coming inside early this morning that it feels so warm (ha!) and spring-like out there.  Our temp is in the low 30s but we have sunshine.  They are saying we will reach 50° today (ha!) so maybe we'll have some significant snow melting (ha!).  (Do you think I'm getting just a teensy bit jaded?)

Yesterday we got a couple more inches of snow, then freezing rain, then just rain.  The temp wasn't warm enough for much melting though.  Still, just by the feel of the air, we can tell spring is coming.  It's having a hard time breaking out in full glory, but it's coming!

P.S.  The above picture makes me think of getting back into raising rabbits again (for food) which my dear husband has been talking about for a while now.  I'm dragging my feet on the project, because I don't think we need the extra meat source.  I still have a freezer full of chicken from our previous culling session last fall, and we should do some more culling this spring because we have a batch of new chicks due to arrive end of this month.  I'll keep you posted on whether we'll be adding "build rabbit hutches" to our already way too long summer list!  

8 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

You get 6 months of Winter and I get 8 months of summer .............. I would have cabin fever by now. But when the snow melts everything in your garden will be nice and green, my pastures are already drying out. Weatherman says slight chance of rain mid week, but may not make it this far south.

Mama Pea said...

Tombstone Livestock - I'll start doing my rain/melting dance right now. Rain for you this coming week, melting and warm weather for us!

Lisa said...

Your Easter sounds lovely.... special times with your loved ones. Always envious of your Family Reading Nights. Happy Easter to you too!

Mama Pea said...

Thanks, Lisa. Hope your Easter Sunday was lovely. (I know your weather was lovelier than ours!)

Susan said...

I love quiet holidays. And I think I need that recipe for Burgundy Meat(not)balls! Care to share...? We had a small gathering as well, and it was very nice. However, the older I get, the more I want to stay home and nest.

Sandy Livesay said...

Happy Belated Easter!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - I will e-mail you the recipe. I can so relate to you saying you're happy to stay at home and "do your thing." I think that comes with being happy with yourself . . . and having lots of interests! (Or else we're both really, really anti-social!) ;o)

Mama Pea said...

And same to you, Sandy!