Friday, March 14, 2014

Shower Curtain/Shower-y Day

Just finished putting the last buttonholes (for hanging) in the top of my new spring shower curtain.  Gotta admit I'm tired of looking at my "winter" decorations scattered around the house, but because of the mounds of snow gracing our outside environment, I just can't see putting up the spring decorations quite yet.


The finished curtain is about 65-1/2" wide by 71" long.  Big enough to qualify as a small bed quilt, I suppose.


After putting the low-loft batting in it (I just had to try it, don't cha know), I've made the decision that I won't be putting batting in any future shower curtains I make.  Yes, it did give the definition to the quilting lines I wanted, but it also makes it too heavy.  Oh, well.  We have to experiment.  I've used Thermore on one curtain and this cheaper low-loft batting on this one, and now know just a pieced top "quilted" to a muslin backing is best.


This shot looking down on the curtain hanging on my design wall gives a slight (nah, not much) idea of how it will look when hung on the shower rod.

Mother Nature continues to tease giving us a temperature in the mid-30s today along with a bit of rain this morning.  It's stopped now and I can actually see that the rain caused the level of snow to go down.  The air outside is still very gray, very heavy and very damp.  Besides causing some of the snow to melt, the rain on top of the snow cover has also made moving around outside treacherous.  We just got a delivery from our UPS man and he mentioned he's fallen four times recently.  It's dangerous out there for man and beast!

 

17 comments:

2 Tramps said...

That is just beautiful, dear Mama Pea. You truly are a fabric artist!

Mama Pea said...

2 Tramps - Well . . . (gulp) . . . thank you very much! :o}

Freedom Acres Farm said...

Absolutely Gorgeous!!! Love it!! Good job!

Unknown said...

Really springy looking! I took down my winter stuff several weeks ago, put up a few Valentine's day things, then St. Pat's, spring stuff is up next. I ease into it...

Anonymous said...

Oh that came out so fabulous! I love it!!!

http://caffeinatedhomestead.weebly.com/blog.html

Carolyn said...

That is beautiful, and spring-y! Can't imagine all the time, coordination, patience that takes.

Mama Pea said...

Freedom Acres Farm - Thank you. Thank you. And thank you!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - Thank you very much!

Mama Pea said...

Little Homestead in Boise - I put out my Valentine's Day stuff kinda intermingled with the winter stuff. Don't do St. Patrick's Day. Maybe should (Papa Pea did at school), but we don't personally have a drop of the Irish in us!

Mama Pea said...

Stephanie - I'm pleased with it, too. Makes me eager for real spring weather. We had -8° this morning. Not nice, Mother Nature!

Mama Pea said...

Carolyn - Nah, it was easy peasey. Actually only took me about 2-1/2 hours total. (Cough-gag-choke-chortle. Liar, liar, pants on fire!)

It's something I LOVE doing so even though my husband says I'm impatient (what does he know?), quilting doesn't try my patience at all. Weird, huh?

Sparkless said...

Third times a charm I'm hoping. I've tried to post several times and they won't show up. One more time.
That is a beautiful shower curtain, actually it's way to pretty to be a shower curtain so you just pack it up and send it to me and I'll send you my flowery plastic shower curtain. I guess that's not really a fair exchange. I'm sure you'd much rather look at your pretty quilted shower curtain than my cheap plastic one but in it's defense it does have pretty flowers on it.

Lisa said...

I really, really like your shower curtain a LOT! I've even pinned it so I can come back and read your notes some day in the future when I make my own!!! Maybe you should think about putting your spring items out and about, for a little distraction from ole man winter?! Isn't the first day of Spring this week? Something like that. We're still going from 18 degrees above normal, to 15 degrees below normal each day - ya' never know which way the pendulum is gonna' swing this year.

thimblevee said...

Hi Mama Pea - I really do like the shower curtain. I'm thankful we are entering actual spring like temps here in GA. March is fickle for sure and we will have cold nights for a while, but hopefully none of that white stuff. I just wanted to say, I have used flannel in lieu of batting before. That still would not be as light as nothing, but it does help give definition. Not sure about cost difference....... Sending spring vibes your way. I planted peas, carrots, radishes, spinach, broccoli, lettuce and onions last week!

Mama Pea said...

Sparkless - Your offer is a hard one to resist . . . but I think I will pass. ;o)

Mama Pea said...

Lisa - Morning before yesterday, we had an overnight low of -8°. Now we're expecting up to a foot of snow by Wednesday. This is spring? I would put up my spring decorations but I'm afraid they would just look ludicrous considering our actual weather!

Mama Pea said...

thimblevee - Well, of course! I should try flannel next time! That seems so obvious. Thank you for knocking my noggin so the thought went in! There are all different prices of flannel available and if I bought an economical piece and washed it before using it, I'm betting that would work well.

You planted peas, carrots, radishes, spinach, broccoli, lettuce and onions last week????? I think I'm depressed now. We're waiting for up to 12" of snow by Wednesday! :o/