In answer to
These are a few (not all of them) of the strip sets I made to begin construction. They were set together on the diagonal.
And formed these eight vertical strips.
Next they had to be trimmed . . .
. . . which left this pile of triangles.
Of course, I couldn't toss them (gadzooks, no!) so put them in a baggie and then into my special box of scraps that I will
The strips all trimmed up.
Then I cut the alternating panels on which the appliqued vines and flowers will go. I didn't yet cut the plain panels to size because applique work tends to pull a piece of fabric up/in/smaller and these panels will probably be a tad bit shorter when the applique work is finished. There will also be 1" wide strips of a blue fabric between the colored panels and the appliqued ones, but I won't cut them until the panels are completed.
Cutting out and constructing the applique pieces takes a lot of time. Yesterday I got all the bias stems made . . .
. . . and some of the flowers cut out. Next the leaves and then I'll be ready to start the applique