Sunday, December 1, 2013

Notta Lotta . . .

Not a lot going on around here in the past week that has been noteworthy, but I thought I'd better get a post up so you know I am still functioning.

Although my Thanksgiving decorations are lovely and we've enjoyed them for about a month now, since today is the first day of December and it's only a little over three weeks until Christmas (Eeeep, how did that happen?), they must go.  I contemplated doing the switcheroo from Thanksgiving to Christmas decorations today but couldn't get enthused about the project so managed to successfully ignore it.  Tomorrow?  Well, gosh, what with Monday being laundry day and all . . .  Can I manage to put it off for one more day?

We woke up Thanksgiving morning to a lovely 4" of snow covering the ground.  Our first snow of the season.  I can't remember the last time we had a decent amount of snow on the ground before Christmas or New Year's.  Just thirty miles south of us they got eighteen inches.

Right now as we speak (or type or read or whatever), we have heavy snow coming down.  We've gotten about 3" in the last 90 minutes.  ("It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas . . . ")

I've been sleeping much better at night lately. (I'm sure you're all thrilled to get that bulletin.)  I haven't been waking up in the middle of the night and staying that way for 2-3 hours.  Only one problem to solve so that I don't have to get up earlier in the morning than I want to.  Said solution would involve a catheter, and I really don't want to go that route.  TMI?

This year I've been wrapping Christmas presents as they arrive.  And, boy, does that feel good.  I used to really enjoy wrapping presents and went overboard to make each and every one look special.  Hunh.  Not anymore.  When did wrapping presents become a chore for me?  Dunno, but the last several years I've found myself putting off the task until the last minute and then, let me tell you, it's no fun at all.  But this year, I'm staying ahead of the game.  Yep, I am.  (Feel free to check up on me in a week or so to see if I still have the right to be so boastful.)

Something that works well that I have been doing for the past couple of years is making my Christmas cookie doughs early and stashing them in the freezer.  Making as many cookies as I always think I have to want to then isn't such a chore.  I can pull out a blob of frozen dough and bake up a batch of cookies whenever the desire hits me.  So how many different varieties do I have made up ahead and in the freezer right now?  Ummm, none.  But I'm gonna get started on it really soon.  (You would have to ask, wouldn't you?)

I'm signing off now so I can go back into my quilt room where I put in a couple of hours this afternoon.  I have a new Christmas motif shower curtain I'm bound and determined to get done and up this year.  I shouldn't admit it, but all but the quilting has been done on it for a couple of years.  I just haven't, for a multitude of lame excuses reasons, finished it until now.  Keep poking me until I post a picture of the finished project hanging in the bathroom, okay?

16 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

Glad you are getting time to do some quilting. Weather is still in the 70;s here, rumor is there is a cold front coming .... but you know how rumors are just like the rain they predicted for Thanksgiving Day that never arrived.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Not much going on here either. I know what you mean about wrapping presents- wait to the last minute and it's more stressful.

DFW said...

Can't wait to see the Christmas shower curtain!

Susan said...

I hate to admit it, but I have you beat - I still have my ONE Halloween decoration up. Didn't manage to move to Thanksgiving, so I'm hoping to change it for Christmas. Or just leave it there for 10 months and pretend I'm on top of next year....

Lisa said...

We got snowflakes coming down on the day before Thanksgiving as we were preparing to leave for my m-i-l's that was pretty BIG news 'round here. Melted on impact - but still. Unheard of in SC. :) Okay, 'poke, poke' gotta' finish and post a photo of your shower curtain for us when you get it done! Love your idea of freezing prepared-ahead cookie dough! Might need to copycat you on that one. Have a good day Mama Pea!

Mama Pea said...

Tombstone Livestock - Well, if they predicted rain for Thanksgiving that must mean there's the possibility of it in your area. Now if it would just turn into more than a possibility . . .

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - You'd think I'd learn, but it always amazes me how very MUCH time wrapping the presents takes!

Mama Pea said...

DFW - Between laundry, town errands and a friend dropping in for a nice visit, I never made it into my quilt room today to work on the shower curtain. Tomorrow, I hope, hope, hope!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - When I was bewailing the fact that Christmas was only a little more than three weeks away, my husband suggested we just skip the tree and decorations this year. Can you imagine . . . ??

Mama Pea said...

Lisa - Did you see my sad tale of no quilting today in a comment above? Things should settle down tomorrow. Really. (Fingers crossed.)

Anonymous said...

I'm excited because we may have snow here in a day or two. We never ever get it, especially this time of year. Or maybe I'm excited because it's something abnormal and I like feeling superior because I'm more prepared than most-LOL who knows... Can I send you my presents to wrap?

Anonymous said...

No snow here, thank goodness! It has been unusually cold though, so I am looking forward to the next few days of almost 70 out. It won't last long though.
Glad to hear you are sleeping better! That is really a hard thing to get past. It messes you up for days.
Love ya!!

http://caffeinatedhomestead.weebly.com/blog.html

Lisa said...

Hope today's a better day to be in your (awesome!) quilting room! :)

Mama Pea said...

Lisa - I'm not holding my breath . . . we got about 10" of very wet, heavy snow overnight with another 10" forecast for tonight so we will be doing massive amounts of snow removal before tonight's batch hits. It sure looks like winter now!

Mama Pea said...

Ruth - We've got a good cover of snow much earlier this year than in the past several. Right now it's a winter wonderland out there.

Regarding you sending me your presents to wrap . . . . NOOOOOOooooooo! (How's that for being a really poopy bloggy friend?)

Mama Pea said...

Stephanie - Daytime temps of almost 70! Wow, that seems unbelievable to us up here near the Canadian border, but I know it's not unheard of for you folks down in the Banana Belt!

I obviously should not have said I was sleeping so much better. I got into bed at 10:25 last night, finally gave up and got up around 12:30, watched a DVD, got back into bed two minutes before 3 a.m. and tossed and turned before falling asleep somewhere around 4. ARRRRGH!