Sunday, November 24, 2013

Lonely Whipped Cream Seeks Pudding

I had some whipped cream left in the refrigerator this morning (we ran out of pumpkin pie before we ran out of the whipped cream) so I decided to make some chocolate pudding for dessert tonight.  (Why did I make a pumpkin pie less than a week before Thanksgiving?  I have no explanation, but it was really good!)


Top each dish of pudding with a dollop of the leftover whipped cream, and it was a nice finish to tonight's dinner of fresh fish.  (Thanks to Chicken Mama for providing the fresh fish!)

The pudding recipe I made this morning is straight out of my More-with-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre, published in 1976.  It's unique in that it calls for no eggs.  I've found this a go-to dessert when our chickens are molting around the first of the year and I ration every egg I get from them.

Here's the recipe:

Quick Chocolate Pudding
1/3 cup sugar or honey
2 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 cups milk

Combine above ingredients in a heavy saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened (8-10 minutes) stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon butter.

Serve warm (yuck) or cold (yum).  Makes 4-6 servings.  Very smooth and very good!

13 comments:

Endah Murniyati said...

Look so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sue said...

Sounds like a winner. Our switch over to organics has left us "lacking" in the junk food department (not that pudding is junk food, you know what I mean). Now, do you have a recipe for strawberry JELLO?? It's the only thing I CANNOT find organic and how the heck does one make jello, for goodness sake. We found some "organic" version and it was TERRIBLE. I think hubby is addicted to that chemical "goo" and I need a substitute. Thoughts ? Ideas? Help!!
And we went skiing yesterday for an hour---it was perfect!! So glad winter decided to show!

Sue said...

P.S. As I was copying the recipe , I chuckled. Hubby would say this serves TWO. LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I remember warm pudding as a kid - yuck is right. I'll have to save this recipe too. Thanks.

Mama Pea said...

endah - You're very welcome!

Mama Pea said...

Sue - I was raised on Jello (maybe that accounts for a lot) and would still be eating it if I didn't know it was straight sugar with a little (less than healthy) food coloring thrown in! Love that Jello, I did. I'll check at our organic food co-op and see what their brand of "jello" is. Probably the same one you tried.

So envious of your lovely snow cover. We're still bare here.

Mama Pea said...

Sue - I know! I don't know where the "serves 4-6" comes from. The first time I made it and got only four (not very generous) servings I thought I'd left out an ingredient . . . like maybe the 2 cups of milk!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - Yuck is double right! I know someone (not mentioning any names but I live with him) who says he used to love to drink warm Jello in his youth. Can you imagine??!

Susan said...

That looks so good - and I have all the ingredients! I have never been able to gag down warm pudding - unless it's rice pudding. But warm chocolate pudding? eeeeuuuwww.

Susan said...

p.s. I assume that warm jello confession was made AFTER you securely 'tied the knot'.... ;)

LindaCO said...

Thanks for this. So simple, it'll go on my "to try" list.

Glenda said...

I had a similar problem. I cooked two pie crusts by mistake. The second pie crust was for apple pie. soooo I made chocolate pudding. I didn't have any chocolate just cocoa. I topped it with meringue. Worked fine. I will use the apples for muffins or apple crunch.

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Glenda - Thanks for commenting. To my mind, being a successful cook means having the ability to change plans mid-stream so as not to waste hardly anything! (We have chickens, though, so even if I have to toss something, they are happy to have it!)