Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday, Monday

I took the whole day off yesterday and spent it in my quilt room.  Started on a new project, enjoyed every minute of it and am sad I can't (in good conscience) do the same thing again today.


Here's a peek at what I accomplished.  It's the start of an appliqued piece of work (four squares, same design in each but I'm using different fabrics in each square).  What you see are some of the pieces I have ready to be appliqued, but I haven't started that yet.  The pieces are just stuck on my small flannel boards to make sure I like the colors and fabrics I've chosen.  I don't do a lot of applique, but every now and then I get an urge to do it.  Yup, it's putzy and time-consuming, but as my mom used to say, it keeps me off the streets.  (During my childhood, it was a long time before I realized it wasn't a bad thing to walk "on the street.")

This morning I went into town to do a couple of errands, specifically stopping at the small department store where Chicken Mama works.  They have a 50% off sale going in their little fabric section.  Too good to pass up, so even though I've been trying hard not to purchase any new fabric (I have ten times as much fabric in my stash as they do in their store), I caved and bought a yard of some Christmas fabric and a half yard of four other pieces.

Came home and fixed a late breakfast/early lunch for us and then we went out for a couple/few hours of wood working.  We're having a gorgeous fall day with on and off sunshine and a brisk breeze which makes it perfect for a little physical exertion.

Now just came in from the garden after harvesting some cukes and carrots and cherry tomatoes.  Checked the green peppers to see if any were big enough to pick for making more stuffed green peppers.  Lots of almost big enough ones, but I'll wait until later in the week to check them again.

Have gotten the laundry done and put away today, but still have ironing to do probably tonight while watching Dancing with the Stars.  Yes, I confess, it is my guilty pleasure . . . but it helps me get my ironing done every Monday night while I watch it.  (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.)  

I must get up and move now or I will fall into unconsciousness, tip off my chair and end up sprawled on the floor under my desk.  I'm operating on not nearly enough sleep today.  Last night when I got in bed at 10:30 (which is a little late for this sleeping beauty who REALLY needs her beauty sleep), my mind was going a mile a minute and I could not fall asleep.

So I got up and put a DVD I'd gotten from our library in the machine . . . and ended up watching the whole darn movie before staggering back into bed at half past midnight.  Believe me, the alarm ringing this morning was not a welcome sound.

It's a little after 4 p.m. now and I know it's the low point of the day for me, so as I said, I need to get up and find something non-sedentary to do or my husband will come inside and fine me curled up in a corner snoring.

17 comments:

You Can Call Me Jane said...

What beautiful quilt squares!! I've recently been inspired to do some small quilting projects to give as Christmas gifts and I'm excited to get started. Now...where is that time I'm going to need to find first? ;-)

DFW said...

Oh wow. I'm convinced that I'll never be able to applique(sp?) but yours are beautiful Mama Pea.

Sparkless said...

Oh wow those look amazing! I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

LindaCO said...

Ack! I hate it when my sleep is messed up. Hope it gets settled soon.

Susan said...

Oooooh! That is going to be absolutely GORGEOUS! Go ahead and give yourself another two or more days in your quilt room - because we NEED to see it finished! We must have the same sleep condition - Rabid Mind Disorder. Let's hope it's over soon...

Tombstone Livestock said...

I wish I had a sleeping problem, oh yes I already do, I sleep too much.

Good job on the quilt squares.

Glad to see your garden is still producing but hey rice and beans are on standby.

Anonymous said...

Our garden is still giving us tomatoes, cukes, and carrots. I moved the kale and chard into the greenhouse, after our big storm last weekend and lost our corn. Your quilting project is beautiful.

Mama Pea said...

I'll Call You Jane - Thanks! Yep, it's that old time (or not enough of it) bugaboo. My dear husband keeps telling me I just need to block out a period of time (small though it might be) every day (or every other day) and make that sacred as my quilting time. I can manage that for about two days . . . then something unexpected comes up (for two days in a row!) and my blocked out time goes flying out the window! Sigh. So I can totally sympathize with your lack of time for your Christmas gift making. (I don't even have three little cherubs needing my time and attention as you do!)

Mama Pea said...

DFW - Oh, but you could! Granted there are a couple "tricks of the trade" to learn, but it's a very slow and satisfying craft. Thanks for your kind words!

Mama Pea said...

Sparkless - Me, too! ;o)

Mama Pea said...

LindaCO - Methinks there's something in the air around our house . . . hubby had exactly the same problems (couldn't fall asleep, up until 12:30) last night that I had had the night before! Maybe we need an exorcist . . . or a new Sand Man!!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Ha! "Rabid" Mind Disorder . . . at first I read "Rapid" Mind Disorder, but "rabid" is much more accurate!!

Mama Pea said...

Tombstone Livestock - I know I can always count on you to keep me from starvation! Hee-hee.

P.S. Oh, to get to a point where I feel I sleep too much! Where do you find the hours in the day (or night) with all you do on your homestead?

Mama Pea said...

Ruth - Thank you! No big storms here, but lots of moisture and wind. Our corn stalks are all falling over because of the squishy ground. But at least I've not had to think about watering what's left in the garden . . .

Lisa said...

I'm with Susan in that you've just gotta' squirrel away in your (awesome) quilt room and finish those squares because we NEED to see them!!! They are gorgeous. What will your finished project be? A wallhanging? Yes, yes, we NEED to see them.... !!! Hope you are having a pleasant Tuesday.

Mama Pea said...

Lisa - Yes, a wall hanging for the holidays. It won't say strictly "Christmas" but I'm doing it all in reds and greens so hopefully it will be appropriately festive for the season.

I had planned on an afternoon in my quilt room but, blast and darn, something came up that caused me to change plans. Maybe tomorrow . . . ?

Lisa said...

As Scarlett said "tomorrow is another day"?! I like your idea of not strictly Christmas, but a wallhanging that can last through winter. It will be very pretty.