Tomorrow (Sunday) was to be the last day to wind things up in getting Chicken Mama moved out of her beloved Swamp River Ridge.
The crews were all lined up and the big, final push was a go.
But late this afternoon we got word that it's not going to be happening. Why? Because the rain we've had falling since last Thursday night has turned to glaze ice with this afternoon's rapidly falling temperatures.
Chicken Mama was notified that the county road that must be traversed before getting to her 4-1/2 mile driveway is impassable. Yep, that's right. No one has been successful in getting in or out of it today. One fella put chains on his truck thinking if he crept along, he'd be okay. His truck is now in the ditch with two broken brake lines.
It's distressing to know that these circumstances just delay the inevitable for Chicken Mama and prolong the emotional turmoil for another week, but no one has a choice in the matter.
So what's good about the situation? Our poor daughter has come down with a whopper-doo of a sinus infection that prevented her from going to work today. And even though she had no choice but to get out of bed and do what needed to be done tonight, as her mom I was really afraid tomorrow was going to be too much for her. It would have been a difficult enough day, but to be feeling as bad physically as she is it would have been just plain miserable.
She was unable to sleep much last night because of her pounding headache. Now, hopefully, she'll be able to get the rest needed tonight and tomorrow at home to start putting her back on the road to being healthy and strong again.
I think we all knew this rain in January was going to end up wreaking havoc in one way or another. Our temp now at 7 p.m. is down to 17 degrees and the water that is everywhere has formed into ice, ice and more ice. At least the rain has stopped so there should be no ice coatings on power lines and such. Papa Pea went around to all our vehicles this afternoon making sure all the doors would open before they froze solidly shut. If everyone stays safe on the roads (off the roads would be best) and upright on their feet until we get some snow cover on all the ice, we should be okay.
How To Make an Herbal Tincture
5 hours ago