Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Little Progress

It's slow.  But it is progress.  I spent most of last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday putting two finishing coats of polyurethane on thousands of board feet (well, maybe it was only hundreds . . . or not that much . . . but it seemed like it) of lumber to be used in building the storage units for the garage.

So far, we've gotten the left part of the south wall unit constructed and in place.


This was the wall before.


And this is the same wall after.

The unit above the utility sink will have a door on it and a mirror on the door so it can function like a medicine cabinet.  It will hold first aid items and anything else we'd like to keep clean and sanitary.  Like my husband's toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, etc.  He complains I monopolize the bathroom in the morning and since he now has a sink with hot and cold running water in the garage, he can perform his daily beautification program there without fighting with me for in-house bathroom time.  Sounds good to me.

We only made one little mistake in the plans for this unit.


Ooops.  Forgot to allow room for the washing machine lid to open adequately.  No problem.  We only have to do a little notch work in the corner of that side board and all will be A-OK.  I hope.

11 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I had a medicine cabinet that wouldn't open past a fancy bathroom faucet that stuck up high. I never thought about the door until I opened it one day. Had to saw the bottom off and then nail the piece back in place. You don't even notice it now. Just adds character to things I guess.

Sparkless said...

Why don't you just slide the washer down an inch? Would save having to cut your fine shelf work.
I'd say those are mighty fine looking shelves. Can you come show my husband how it's done?

Carolyn said...

Oh, how I envy your new shelves! We need real shelves in the laundry room and in the garage....BAAAADDDDD.
Just think of all the stuff you'll be able to put on those babies!!!

Mama Pea said...

Sunnybrook Farm - I've always loved little customized nooks and crannies in houses. They do add character. It won't bother me a bit to take a little notch (maybe even scallop it?) out of this piece of wood.

Mama Pea said...

Sparkless - Oh, you're such a smart one! Our daughter suggested we pull the washer out from the wall a bit until the lid misses the shelf support. (I don't want to do that.) We could certainly scootch it over a bit as you suggested, but I kinda wanted it to butt tight up against the utility sink. But maybe it shouldn't because of the vibration of the washer. We'll have to give this more thought.

Mama Pea said...

CR - Yep, my husband has been using the excuse that he can't neaten up and organize the garage until he gets these storage units up. Not too long now and he'll have to shape up!

Susan said...

That is going to be awesome! It's the next best thing to have two bathrooms! We all need our space, after all...coming from someone with two full baths, one with TWO sinks and TWO mirrors.

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

It is looking really good! Now who gets the job of getting stuff off that top shelf? I guess that is where you hide your good candy that you want to save for yourself ;)

Mama Pea said...

Susan - That settles it. We're coming to your house to get ready in the morning. (But then, I only have ONE toilet to clean. Hee-hee.)

Mama Pea said...

Jane - I'd have to haul out the extension ladder every time I wanted to use those top shelves. I did question my dear husband about that and he says he has plenty of stuff (boy, does he have the stuff!) that he uses infrequently, but likes to know where it is . . . so that's what will be stored on those nose-bleed shelves!

Erin said...

His "beautification program"... LOL! You will need one of those sliding library ladders on those shelves!