Friday, September 9, 2011

The Californians Have Arrived

After what seems like several aborted attempts in the last couple of years to travel east and north, Papa Pea's little brother and wife have finally made it to Minnesota!

Along with a lot of chatter to catch up in the last day or so, we got out for a beautiful hike yesterday. Our colors are just starting to turn and this un-retouched shot was taken from a foot bridge looking down into a beautiful river gorge.

More breath-taking scenery around each bend of the trail.

Even though younger brother is a wee bit (!) afraid of heights, he was game and went along with some of our mountain goatish trips out to some overhanging outlooks to peer down, down, down at the river. That is to say he volunteered to stay firmly planted on the designated trail (safely back from most overhangs) to be sure we could find our way back to it! Whadda guy.

We had a great hike and nobody tripped and went boom on the uneven and slightly challenging trail. The first half of the hike is up into the gorge (puff, puff) but coming down was accomplished in half the time with SIL leading and the rest of us hustling to stay up with her. That girl can move!

13 comments:

Sue said...

What a beautiful spot. I want to go!!!!

Susan said...

Me, too! I am SOOO glad that you and Papa Pea must now get away from the polying, plumbing, wiring and painting and get some fresh air. It will do you good, missy. They look like they are so much fun to spend time with. Enjoy your visit!

judy said...

What breath taking views [ certainly took mine away] it Almost looks like you are on the back end of gooseberry falls,its been awhile since I visited the falls,but my knees were knocking way back when after seeing them and standing on the bridge above them. thats what I feel like now! but still unbelievably gorgeous. thats exactly what I miss most about traveling abroad [ that would be any where in MN for me-not aboard to Europe ]

judy said...

After a comment you made earlier in the week I had to look up QiGong-I AM WATCHING A SAMPLER AND AND TRYING IT UNTIL IT TELL ME TO TRY WHAT IS CALLED A BEAR SWIMMING IN THE OCEAN-bam--I THINK I FELL IN,I NEED CUSHIONS ALL AROUND ME TO TRY THIS AGAIN,HOW LONG DID YOU TRY THIS FOR AND WHY DIDN'T IT WORK? IT SEEMS RELAXING[OH THE REASON I BECAME TIPSY WAS MY BALANCE ISSUES]

Erin said...

"That girl" can move because she has to keep up with you LOL! So glad you are taking some time to just go hiking and enjoy fall with family amidst your projects, your soul needs it and I know they don't mind the construction one bit and are just happy to be there! So have you made out their very own project list yet? :)

Sparkless said...

That looks like a beautiful hike. Glad your family is visiting to take you away from the renovation for a bit.

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Breathtaking!! Those belong on CMs cards!!!

Enjoy your visit!

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

I am so glad to see you still remember how to go out an have a little relax time. Have some fun!

Dirt Lover said...

What a nice thing to do with family! Glad you finally were able to get together. Family rocks!!!
~~Lori

Mama Pea said...

Sue - And well you should!

Susan - I am being the total lazy lout and may never work another day in my life? Do you believe me?

judy - Nope, not Gooseberry Falls but every bit as gorgeous in my opinion.

I'll probably get in trouble for saying this but anything like QiGong or yoga is too slow or "do nothing" for me. If I'm going to be that still, I'm gonna be reading a good book!

Erin - So tonight when we were all sprawled in the cluttered, totally unfinished living room, brother-in-law asked what we had to do in there. "Oh, not much," I said. "Sound-proof the ceiling, install a ceiling, rebuild the stairway, panel the walls, lay a floor, install a wood stove, hang the french door, put a door at the end of the stairway, build a stairway to the basement with door and buy some furniture."

Sparkless - The only thing that worries me is that yucky weather is coming and we still have outside things to do. Never mind. I'll think about that later.

Mama Pea said...

APG - Thanks! It surprised me when she asked me today to send her those two pictures of the river and the falls. (She wants MY pictures?! Wow!)

Jane - Old memories are slowly coming back. :o}

Lori - It IS good to be able to get together!

Patty said...

I'm glad you're having a nice time! Beautiful photos, too.

Mama Pea said...

Patty - Thank you!