Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Eating Again

It may seem like all I'm doing or thinking about lately is food. Not true. I've also been sleeping pretty good. And not eating in between meals. And a couple of other things.

Looking for something a little different to make for breakfast this morning, I pulled this simple recipe out of the files. It's good for a fast, easy, satisfying meal for breakfast or any other time of day.

QUICK MEAL EGGS AND NOODLES

2 cups cooked noodles (whole wheat, spinach or your choice)
3 tablespoons butter or oil
3 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup milk
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook and drain the noodles and set aside. (Of course, this is a perfect way to use up any left over pasta that may be hanging around.) Heat butter in a skillet, add the cooked noodles and stir fry briefly.

Combine the beaten eggs and milk with seasonings. Pour over noodles in the skillet and scramble until eggs are set.

Garnish with paprika, chopped fresh parsley and tomato wedges. What a pretty plate that would make. If one had chopped fresh parsley. And tomato wedges. Which I didn't. Serves 4.

This morning I knew breakfast wasn't going to taste right without a little bacon, so I fried just 1-1/2 slices in the skillet first. Then I chopped the cooked bacon into bits and added them to the egg/milk mixture.

I also had about 17 left over green peas in the refrigerator so I threw them in. (Fresh chives are wonderful, too. I didn't have those either.)

Half the above recipe was just right for the two of us.

12 comments:

mtnchild said...

When we go camping (in the summer of course) we cook up something similar but with potatoes instead of noodles. The bacon is eaten on the side, but leftover hamburger, small cut potatoes and eggs. We call it a "Hunters Hash". It really sticks to your ribs and I, at least, don't find myself nibbling between meals.

I'm going to try your recipe.
Hugs
Yvette

Anonymous said...

Even tho I'm a huge noodle-fan I've never thought of having them for breakfast. Goody, I love trying new recipes!

Mama Pea said...

Yvette - My mind needs to be broadened! I do eggs and potatoes all the time but I would never have thought to combine eggs and potatoes AND hamburger!

Alla said...

I have cooked a simalar dish with potatoes, too, but the noodles sound pretty good. I'll have to try this one too!

meemsnyc said...

Oooh, I've never added noodles to my eggs before. Really interesting.

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Ok, how does one have just 17 peas left? It was probably more trouble to get a container out, put the peas in, and store them, than just eating the 17 peas. This really cracks me up.

Mama Pea said...

Alla - The noodles in this dish are my sneaky way of serving pasta to my husband. He's not crazy about any pasta (too starchy, he says). But I love noodles so I do try to slip them in now and then.

meemsnyc - Don't know why but to me they seem to compliment the eggs.

Jane - Well, you know how I lie all the time. It was probably more than 17 peas (I did put them in my very smallest storage container when I saved them!) but I didn't want to waste them ('course, nothing is really ever "wasted" as it goes to the poultry) and knew I could throw them in with some form of eggs in the morning. And if I had just eaten them when I was cleaning up, that would have qualified as a SECOND HELPING for me. You know I can't do that! ;o)

Susan said...

That is my kind of breakfast! I could have used it this morning - back down to 0 again - evil winter. I may even cook up some homemade squash ravioli to go with it. Wouldn't that be weird!?

Ollamha Anne said...

Yum. I love Leftovers Omelet. One of my favourite add-ins is leftover cabbage salad, a dallop of garlic chutney and a spoon of chipotle sauce when I have it.

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Hey, when the temp reads zero and you've got animal chores to do AND go off the homestead for work, you need all the help you can get from your breakfast! Homemade ravioli with anything sounds great!

Ollamha Anne - Welcome and thanks for commenting! Left over cabbage salad? That would be like coleslaw? Gosh, another thing I've never though of trying. Thanks!

Erin said...

17 peas... LOL! This looks really good and very "comfort food-ish"!

Mama Pea said...

Erin - Anything pasta is comfort food-ish for me! :o)