Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Breakfast Idea with Leftovers and the Incredible, Edible Egg

This may not be anything special but I know I always appreciate coming across ideas for using up leftovers in a tasty way.

I had lentils and brown rice languishing in separate containers in the refrig this morning. And, glory be! Our chickens have finally taken the hint that it's high time to start earning their keep and we're finding ourselves with enough eggs again.

Although I did make this for breakfast, we've been known to eat it for any meal of the day. So take the idea and do with it what you will.

First I saute sliced, fresh mushrooms. (IF I have them, that is. I did this morning. The dish is fine without them though.) I use a fair amount of butter because it will be needed to keep the rice and lentils from sticking when they are added.

Then add the lentils and rice, enough for as many people as are waiting patiently at the table. I stir and saute the lentils and rice a couple of minutes before adding the eggs.

Break an egg for each serving on top of the mixture in the skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and maybe a little dill weed or parsley. Put a cover on the skillet and cook/steam until eggs are done to your liking.

Nutritionally, lentils and brown rice compliment each other and the home grown egg will give you lots of protein to get up and do what needs to be done.

9 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

That looks INCREDIBLE.

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Now that is some "Stick to your Ribs" stuff!

Glad to hear your ladies are earning their keep again! The talk must have helped!

Susan said...

"as many people as are patiently waiting"...ha! If I was sitting at your table, smelling the aroma of butter, mushrooms and all that other wonderful stuff, I would be banging my utensils on the table top! What a brilliant idea! I am always faced with dribs and drabs of leftovers. Eggs are marvelous!

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Now see, I would call that dinner. You would thing a vegetarian would be able to eat vegetables for breakfast, but nope.

Mama Pea said...

JJ - Why, thank you, ma'am!

APG - Also the fact that we kept nonchalantly muttering, "A chicken in every pot." "Wouldn't chicken and dumplings taste good this weekend?" "Maybe we should cull a few hens. The chicken house is looking a little crowded." Hee-hee.

Susan - Yay for home grown, free-range chicken eggs! (You know we could live on them if we had to.)

Jane - It IS dinner in our house many nights!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

The only thing I would add to that is BACON :) (I could NOT resist!!!)

:)

Claire said...

That looks DELICIOUS! And makes me wish I had more time this morning for something like THAT rather than my container of lowfat yoghurt. Wahhhhhh......

Erin said...

Looks great! Congrats on those eggs coming in again, we had veggie omelets last night for dinner, and I had to have store bought eggs, ugh!

Mama Pea said...

Jen - You have a one track mind!

Claire - You, little girl, need more than a container of low fat yogurt to fuel your body for the kind of days you put in!! (This is your [other] mother talking.)

Erin - Store bought eggs. Eeeuuw. Ish. Pooey. (Sorry, I got carried away.)