Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Is This Scary?

This morning before breakfast I went out to the trellises of my edible podded peas to see if I could find any to put in the scrambled eggs I was making for breakfast. I found six pods. That was all, just six. But I was happy. They would add a little color and flavor to breakfast.

Then we had the torrential rain and it's continued to stay gray, no sunshine, with on and off rains all day.

While in the process of preparing Pasta Alfredo for dinner tonight, I put on my hip boots (not really, but it wouldn't have been out of the realm of sensibility) and dashed out into the garden to see if I could find something green and crunchy (a small zucchini maybe?) to add to the pasta.

I walked by the pea trellises and spied a nice sized pod. And another. And another. And anoth . . .

I ended up gathering all of these. These were NOT there this morning. They grew today. With no sun. But lotsa moisture. This is weird.

Now I'm tempted to go out there and stand in front of the pea vines and see if I might actually be able to see the pods growing. OOOO-oooo-oooo . . .

10 comments:

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Oh my word. Is this possible? You should set up a video camera so we can see your amazing growing peas, too:-).

Mama Pea said...

ThyHand - All I can imagine is that the peas must have been SOOOO ready and all they needed was the moisture and . . . POOF! They expanded like magic! Now I'm eager to see how many are on the vines tomorrow!

Katidids said...

You know our green beans and tomato's did just as well if not better on the overcast days we had.
Think I can smell those peas I LOVE them fresh or dried. Eat one (or a dozen) for me, mine all died early in the season

Mama Pea said...

Katie - So what do you think happened to your peas this year?

Susan said...

That is scary, Mama Pea - better keep your eye on those zucchinis....

Erin said...

I have always wanted to do that with my Yellow Wax Beans, I harvest early in the morning, and then do my after evening walk in the garden to LOOK and RELAX... and then come in with my shirt full of more yellow wax beans!

Anonymous said...

ROFL, set up a video camera! They look delish!

Unknown said...

How incredible is that? Would you mind coming to kentucky for a few days?? haha

The Apple Pie Gal said...

My hubby said to put a Deer Cam out there!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - The zucchinis! Arrrgh. I planned (ha!) on keeping up with them this year (double ha!) and picking and using every tender, little 4" zucchini as they came along. I think I'm already 5 behind as of last night.

Erin - I think beans are the most amazing as far as growing within hours! We shouldn't complain but it's kinda frustrating to pick a bushel in the morning and then find more sticking their tongues out at you that evening!

Stephanie and Apple Pie Gal - I'm sure with a time lapse camera we would see inches gained during a day's time!

Cindy - I think Kentucky is BEAUTIFUL state and would love to visit it again. :o)