Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cutting Kindling and Garden Work

What a great day today was. Sunshine all day, balmy temperatures, and no bugs yet. (Sh-h-h-h.) This past Thursday we had heavy rains all day long and into the night. It was enough rain to take care of the dryness in our area and pretty much put the damper (pun intended) on any danger of forest fire. A very welcome turn of the weather.

It was still a bit too wet to work in the garden yesterday, but today although my raised beds were still moist, they were very workable. And I did get a lot done.

Some transplanting (from thinning) of spinach, arugula, and lettuce. (I just can't bear to throw away ones I have to thin. See why my garden gets too big?) Finally got my Sweet Peas planted. Much later than they could have gone in but earlier than I managed to get them in last year.

Set out some started aster plants. Hope I won't be sorry about that but we've finally stopped having frost every night so I think they'll be okay. Planted Swiss chard, mizuna and more radishes.

Oh, right! I harvested our first radishes and arugula today, too. Could have snipped a few baby spinach leaves but let them go for a couple more days. Got a raised bed all ready for planting carrots tomorrow. Hope to get some potatoes in then also.

Before I got involved in the garden, first thing this morning we moved our wood cradle over by our stash of cedar slabwood and cut some bundles of kindling.

We fill the cradle with slabs, then hubby cuts them in a specified length.

I cut baling twine into lengths to tie around the bundles to hold them together.

Once the bundles are tied, we can stack and store them until I get around to splitting up each individual piece into kindling.

We cut two cradles full this morning which gave us 14 bundles. I don't think I'll need much more than 7 to fill the kindling bin up to the top again (who's using all this kindling anyway, huh?) so that leaves us about 7 bundles in reserve for when we need them. (Nuthin' like having some bundles in reserve.) Good job!

Last but not least tonight, outside of dandelions these Leopard's Bane plants are the first each year to flower on our homestead. Although the Bleeding Hearts aren't far behind, these chirky yellow blossoms always make an appearance before any other cultivated flower.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Looks like your garden is officially underway, congrats! I hope the bugs stay away as long as possible for you - is it any better near the lake than in the woods? I would think the winds would keep them down, but on that same note I remember the mosquitoes up there were huge like the ones in Alaska, they seem to have developed appropriate wings for flying in the wind, lol! Is that you in the pic near the tailgate? If so, you look like a little kid!!

Claire said...

Does all that rain mean we could actually have an outdoor fire at our place when we are up????

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Erin - Yes, the bugs are always less bothersome at our place rather than farther inland like at Chicken Mama's. Also, because of our gardens, we've done a bit of clearing around our house so that the woods don't "close us in." That lets us catch whatever breezes come by. Still and all, there are definitely times of the bug season when I simply can't work outside. And during the height of the season, going out after dinner is never a good idea. So drinks on the deck happen only on a screened in deck!

Yup, dat's me by the tailgate. I thought I looked more like a MAN than a little kid! When we were first married, we lived for several years on the same piece of property as Roy's folks. He had an elderly aunt (she was 20 years older than Roy's mom) who would visit frequently. About once every visit she would ask Roy's mom who that man was out there helping Roy. Didn't do much for my body self-image!!

Hey, Claire - Looks like that might be a real possibility!! :o)