Sunday, January 17, 2010

Still On The Food Kick

I baked bread yesterday . . . but did a little fiddling with the recipe which maybe didn't turn out so well. One thing I did was to add oatmeal to the batter. That no doubt added to the heaviness of the bread.

When I was working the dough, not only was the texture elastic but possibly more akin to kneading a tire. I would fold a portion over and push down on it, but when released it would spring back to the original shape. After ten minutes of that I felt like I'd had a super upper body workout.

I knew bread in a glass loaf pan bakes a little faster than that in a metal pan (stainless steel in this case) but here's a graphic illustration. The loaf on the right was in the glass pan and you can see that although both loaves were in the oven the same amount of time, the sides and top of the one on the right are darker.

The other difference in the two loaves is that when forming the loaves I decided to get really wild and crazy and make one loaf into cinnamon bread. For some reason it didn't rise as well as the plain loaf.

But it still came out okay. Sorta. I haven't cut into the plain loaf yet but the cinnamon loaf pictured above is just a wee bit doughy in the middle. 'Course, it could be that I under-baked the loaves. I set the timer and then walked away without pushing the "start" button. Doh! So I had to guesstimate how long to bake them.

We did gobble up a portion of the cinnamon bread with breakfast this morning so I think it's safe to say that it will not be wasted. I do loves cinnamon bread! (Even better with white frosting drizzled over the top . . . but so messy to try to store.)

9 comments:

Val said...

That cinnamon bread looks great!

Jennifer Jo said...

At least you didn't jump on the bread---apparently you don't have the same proclivities to under-baked bread as I do.

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Valerie - Thanks. I put double the amount of cinnamon in 'cause I like cinnamon . . . and it's supposed to be good for you. [I forget why. :o)]

Hey, Mama JJ - I think the your frustration level was probably higher than mine because your hubby botched yours. Nubuddy to blame this one on but me.

RuthieJ said...

That cinnamon bread looks really good.....I love toasted cinnamon bread!

Karen Sue said...

I think this might be a year of bread for me. I want to try some different kinds. Yesterday I just made the standard Country White and Honey Wheat. I'll try to expand from there. I think cinnamon would be a good try next, either bread or rolls. Since I made both kinds yesterday, and i was having people over, I made 1 loaf of each and divided the rest up for rolls. I ate too much and didn't even have a roll. Bad cook practice! But I sent some home, gave the wheat loaf to my dad today for his birthday, and have some to eat this week.

Erin said...

I go on kicks with my bread machine - 1 month I am baking all the time, then nothing for 6 months! Maybe it's time to try cinnamon bread!
p.s. I am now officially knitting! The Vikings good fortune during the game today rubbed off and I am 1/4 of the way through...you guessed it.... a SCARF!! Hmmm, who will I inflict my scarf upon? :)

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Ruthie - I love it toasted, too. That's another reason I hesitate putting while drizzle frosting on top!

Hey, Karen Sue - As much as I love homemade bread/buns/rolls, I can't eat a roll or bun with a meal because it makes me too full. But I sure could make a meal of homemade bread alone!

Hi, Erin - Congratulations on your knitting! Pictures, please!!

Holly Days Closet said...

Yummy that looks sssooo good. I want some I guess I'll have to get my bread maker out :)
Holly

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Holly - Homemade bread just seems like the right thing to do in the winter, doesn't it? (Knocks the socks off anyone walking into your house and smelling bread baking!)