Most of you celebrated Christmas yesterday but we're having ours today. Let's see if I can explain this convoluted reshuffling of days.
Christmas Eve night we made the decision to postpone our Christmas Day at our daughter and son-in-law's until today, the 26th. They live an hour's drive from us, waaaay back in uncharted territory. (Well, okay, it is charted, but very, very remote.) On Christmas Eve, the county pulled the snowplows off the roads at about 7 p.m. Snow conditions were bad with more snow forecast for Christmas Day. So the four of us decided to give the storm an extra day to blow itself out before trying to make it to their house.
We didn't get much snow yesterday, because it rained (yes, RAINED) for a few hours which pummeled our snow here into about 4" of slush. What a mess! Because Swamp River Ridge (our daughter and son-in-law's homestead) normally has colder temperatures than we do, they did get snow all day and as of last night, were up to their . . . well, they had a lot. (Close to a foot and a half, as far as they could tell.)
By plowing a couple of times during the day, they were able to keep their 4-mile long winter driveway open, but this morning we're waiting to hear if the 14-miles of county road from the main road to their spur road has been plowed. That could be our stumbling block.
We had rain all night. If they had snow, we might not be able to make it. Our huge county is well known for having several micro-climates and this divergence of temperature and weather is not unusual.
We've loaded up the truck and are hoping the plows have been out so we can make it. Our temperature is still warm (34° with rain) so it's not as if we have to worry about dangerously cold conditions. Now we're just waiting to hear from our daughter to decide whether or not to head out. Wish us a little bit of Christmas luck!
Lamb in The Warming Oven
1 hour ago