Thursday, September 17, 2009

What's Happenin'?

Not much. I haven't been what you would call prolific in my posts lately because, frankly, there hasn't been much going on.

The couple of things to be harvested from the garden yet are onions and potatoes, and we're holding out as long as we can on them so they might size up more.

I have been hit (unexplainably) by a fall house cleaning bug, but how much can you write about that . . . that wouldn't put everyone to sleep in short order.

But what the heck, at the risk of doing just that . . .

I am totally amazed at the amount of dust and dirt that accumulates regularly on this plant that sits on top of the stacked washer and dryer in our bathroom. First off, you should know that it's fake. Not real. Genuine imitation silk, I think. And there's a good reason for it being fake. I think I went through maybe 6 or 8 live plants in that spot before getting tired of wasting money and purchased this piece of non-living greenery. Could simply not keep a plant alive in that spot.

It may have been too much heat from the washer an dryer, or almost total lack of natural light. (Or maybe they all just died of dust inhalation.) At any rate, the spot seemed too bare to me, so I've gone with this basket of fake foliage and am very happy with it. Except for as often as I have to wash off the leaves. I suppose it might be lint dust from the dryer? It's just bamboozling how much dust and dirt we seem to generate in our small bathroom. Isn't that a place where you're supposed to get clean?

My husband will tell you I complain a lot about how dirty the whole house seems to get on a regular basis. I mean I dust and vacuum, do the dishes and put things away and before I know it, in a couple of months, I have to start all over again. (That was stolen from an old Phyllis Diller [anybody old enough to remember her?] joke she made about her housekeeping abilities.)

Hubby tries to explain to me that the amount of dirt we track in has to do with the fact that we have a dog, keep outside animals, live in the woods, have a gravel driveway and yard. Even though we have "outside only" boots and shoes, the grime just seems to float in behind us.

Even our versatile hunting dog, Zoey, has been caught in the cleaning whirlwind. (Truth to tell, she's our "unversatile" hunting dog as she's afraid of water. Sigh.) Although she's not what you'd call elated about getting baths (can you tell?), she tolerates them fairly well.

Here she looks like she's thinking of making a break for it.

Here we tried to get her to smile for the camera, but she was having none of it.

Okay, enough nonsense. I think I'll put on my jammies and get into bed to read. All this cleaning is exhausting.

8 comments:

Sue said...

Zoey does not look happy---next time she sees the crazy cleaning whirl, I bet she hides under the bed!

Our house is so dusty too-we live on a dirt road, and I'm a fresh-air person, so 1 day after a cleaning, everything is coated. Its the price I'm willing to pay to live where we do.

Mama Pea said...

Dear Wise Woman Sue - Very, very, very good point! Do I want to live in a high-rise condo in the middle of the city? Without being able to have a dog? Without being able to garden? Without being in the lovely, quiet, verdant, green woods? Without my peace and solitude? Nuh-uh.

I am now going to go write ten times in my Gratitude Journal, "Dealing with a little dust and dirt is a piddling little price to pay for all the blessings I receive by being able to live where I do."

Thanks, Sue.

beth said...

I love reading what you write! keep it up. You always make me SMILE!

Mama Pea said...

Dear Beth - You've made my day! (Sure does help to hear that when I ask myself, "Oh, why write that drivel . . . nobody wants to read it.") Thank you!

Erin said...

I get back from my beach weekend and finish bathing my dogs and sit down to catch up on posts and what do I see???....another wet dog, lol!!!

Mama Pea said...

Erin - Must be somethin' in the air!
(Hope you had a fun weekend.)

RuthieJ said...

I think I'm starting to get the cleaning bug too! The tub needs to be scrubbed, but not before I give Sophie a bath. She will look almost as sad as Zoey when that happens!

Mama Pea said...

Ruthie - I've always held those "old gals" in esteem who religiously did their spring and fall house cleaning. And they did it top to bottom! (Whadda lotta work.)

My next project is our bookshelves which really, really need it. I'm going to have to wear a respirator mask because of all the dust!