Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I Need Some Geritol

We made a concentrated effort yesterday to get the last of the wood split up and stacked in the shed but didn't even come close to making it all the way through the (huge) pile. Even thought it was a physically hard work day, I didn't feel bad at all. Could be I over-did it a little though 'cause I didn't sleep well last night. Very restless and couldn't get comfortable.

This morning neither my brain nor my body wanted to function. But things in the garden needed to be harvested so I gave it what I had to give . . . which wasn't a whole lot.

Picked more peas. The inner two rows (the ones that have grown together and now form an almost impenetrable jungle) are not maturing. Nice, large, long pods but the peas inside don't seem to be growing. This could be because they aren't getting enough sunshine. Or air circulation. Or oxygen. They may never mature. I'll just have to wait and see. I did get three more 2-serving bags shelled and put in the freezer.

Roy helped me with the raspberries and we both were stuffing them in our mouths while trying to make sure at least a few made it into our buckets. We brought in about three more quarts of them.

Then we set up our beet processing assembly line again. I harvested the Forono beets and put seventeen more servings in the freezer. The above picture shows the bags laid out on cookie sheets in the freezer to freeze solid before I pack them all in a bigger bag. (They kinda look like a bunch of bags of nonpareils, don't they?)

I had enough beets left over (3-1/2 quarts) to make a batch of pickled beets. It would have been nice to get this done tonight, but I have done run out of steam. (Problem was I didn't have any to start with today.) I'll put the beets in the refrig and that will be first on my list to get done tomorrow.

While I was cooking the beets today, Roy took down a very tall, very dead pine tree in the yard. The only thing I had to do was to pull on the cable he had attached to the tree so it would fall in the direction we wanted it to. Now I'm a pretty strong German gal and usually have the muscle for the job at hand, but even after Roy had cut the tree nearly through, do you think I could get it to come down? Nope. Roy had to run over to where I was while I kept tension on the cable. He gave one little tug and T-I-M-B-E-R-R-R, down she came.

Oh, well. I'll take some Geritol tonight before bed and be fine in the morning. (Do they still make Geritol?)

P.S. A bunch more quilts have been added to the "Slideshow" over at Mama Pea Quilts and I'm going to write a new post there as soon as I finish this one. Check it out if you wish.


Mama JJ said...

I like your tin cups that are hanging on the wall behind the bucket of berries!

Hope you slept well last night...

Erin said...

Beets....hmmmm, there's another one that has never made it to my lips, lol! You are braver than I !

Mama Pea said...

Mama JJ - I love my tin cups, too! A gift from my daughter years ago. They're pretty much just for decoration except when a wee one visits and needs a little drink. Perfect for that.

I slept better last night, thank you. This week is toooo busy and I'm feeling outta control. I'm a don't-wanna-be-anymore-Type-A-personality but the challenge is hard sometimes.

Mama Pea said...

Erin - You don't eat beets? You haven't grown beets? My goodness, what are we going to do with you?

Cooked beets with butter, salt and pepper. Mmm-mmm, . . . ya gotta try 'em! (Careful with store-bought ones though. If they're old, they can be bitter. Yuck.)