Friday, May 22, 2009

One Bed Done

Woohoo! Yippee! I planted out one bed today! What did I plant? Lettuce? Spinach? Radishes? Nope. Geraniums and petunias. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Man does not live by bread alone. (Or veggies alone, I should say.)



Actually, it's not the first garden bed ready for the season. A couple days ago I weeded and mulched our permanent bed of comfrey. So with this one today that's two down and 22 to go. (Ugh, I shouldn't think of it that way.) Truth to tell, we have 27 garden beds but because we're not doing any market gardening this year, I have room to spare both in the beds and the field garden. Roy is going to use three of the raised beds in which to make compost so that leaves me 24 to work with.



I did accomplish a few other things besides planting the flowers. One was to get the strawberry patch re-weeded (that's right, for the second time this spring), paths tilled up and all set for mulching which I'm planning on getting done tomorrow. By hook or by crook. Come he!! or high water.



So even though it may have been smarter to use my planting time to get some veggie seeds stuck in the ground instead of the flowers, it sure does give me something purdy to look out on.





I'm thinking of it as food for my soul.


2 comments:

RuthieJ said...

Pretty petunias!
I finally got around to planting some flowers in pots and window boxes too. It's nice to have those spots of color around the house again.

Mama Pea said...

Ruthie - I can't tell you how good it makes me feel to look out and see those spots of bright red and white in the yard. Life and color has returned!