Sunday, May 31, 2009

I'm Freeezing!

I tell ya, sometimes ya just feel like ya oughta pack up and move south!

We loaded up the truck and trailer this morning with our trusty old Gravely garden tractor with plow attached and headed to our daughter's to start breaking ground on a patch that is going to be her garden. (I think she's most likely posting pictures and further details of the adventure.) The day was overcast and rain had been forecast, but we felt sure we could beat the raindrops.

Warnings of frost were out for last night, but we dodged the bullet and had a low temp of 38 degrees this morning. (Hee-hee-hee.) It had been 45 when we went to bed so I didn't cover any plants nor did I bring in the seedlings I've got on the front deck hardening off. (Probably wasn't the wisest move I've ever made . . . but I snookered by, didn't I?)

Meanwhile, back up on Swamp River Ridge . . . we finished what work on the garden plot we could and went inside for coffee-and before heading home. As we were lounging in the livingroom involved in pleasant chit-chat, Roy looked out over the valley and remarked that it looked just like snow was headed our way. Well, you can guess what happened next. Yup, those lovely, little, white flakes that we welcome with such eager anticipation in October and November started falling upon us. What the . . . ? Come on, folks, this is May 31st! Enough of this stuff.

By the time we got home here, just short of an hour's drive later, it had turned to rain and has continued all afternoon and evening. The word is we should watch for frost again tonight, and since the thermometer is already reading 38 now at 8 o'clock, we've just covered plants and hauled all the seedlings on the deck into a covered area. I'm sure I used up my "anti-frost-luck" last night.

About an hour ago, I started a fire in the wood stove ('twas feeling chilly and damp in the house) and got ready for bed (it's that kind of a night) putting on my red plaid flannel nightgown and heavy quilted bathrobe. It's freeeezing back here where my desk is but it's warm and delightful in the livingroom by the stove. Guess where I'm headed? Bye.

2 comments:

RuthieJ said...

Snow on May 31? Ugh! What an insult!
You have my sincere sympathies Mama Pea.

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Ruthie - The REAL insult would be if we were to wake up tomorrow morning (June 1st) and find a blanket of white covering the ground! (Listen carefully and you'll hear the screams of anguish all the way at your house.)