Saturday, August 2, 2008

Stealing Spuds

I know. I said I wasn't going to do it this year . . . but I just couldn't stop myself.



Supposedly when potato plants blossom, the potatoes underneath have sized up enough that you can dig a few to use as "new potatoes." These little guys won't keep like the more mature ones will but, boyohboyohboy, they are soooo good parboiled and sprinkled with fresh cut chives and butter. Directly from the garden to dinner plate in 20 minutes.

Last year I pilfered so many new potatoes that Roy said our main harvest was severely affected. So this year I wasn't going to steal even enough for one meal. But tonight's dinner is Swiss steak and gravy I had in the freezer along with fresh snow peas picked this morning and, well, what would be better with that than just a few new potatoes?

I just couldn't stop myself.

No comments: